Torsion bar lift

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6. I’ve read that you could easily lift the front by cranking on that torsion bar bolt and get about 1.5 inches from it. Only question I have is because it knocks out the alignment and have to go get it aligned, will they undo the lift? or will they find another way to correct the camber angle?

I m a believer in leaving the engineering the way it is designed. unless its a poor design.

The Truck is an amazing truck, don’t get me wrong. However, it does need tweaking for any sort of off-road ability. As well as for towing heavy enough loads.

They’'ll either have to undo the lift or tell you they cannot align in and to go elsewhere.

I admit that I cannot see where “cranking on the torsion bar bolt” would gain you height, but I’ll assume you’re talking about pulling the bar’s splined end out and reinstalling it oriented such that “null” is in an elevated position.

In addition to changing the function of the antisway bar (the axis of rotation of the bar should be in the same plane as the neutral suspension level), you’re changing the angle of the steering rack end links, the place in the A-frame’s arc where the suspension movement from where the A-frame begins its travel, and just about everything else. Even if the parts exists to somehow change the articulation points on the A-frames, which I doubt, this vehicle will be unlikely to ever handle properly or predictably, and I doubt if any shop will take that chance.

It’s a mistake to believe that a simple camber change (if it’s possible) will compensate for an elevated suspension. There are other components critical to handling that also move in arcs other than (and in different planes than) the A-frames. The operation of all of them will be affected. They’re all interrelated, and they all interact with one another. Specifically as regards alignment specs, you’ll throw off your caster angle, your Steering Angle Inclination (SAI, the angle of the axis in which your steering knuckles turn), and a bunch of other stuff. And you’ll be placing your dampers at or near their limits.

Oh, and if this is a 4X4 you’ll be increasing the articulation angle of your U-joints. U-joints articulated produce a sinusoidal torque output. The greater the angle, the greater the wave amplitude. U-joints don’t like this. This leads to oscillations in the drivetrain and to premature U-joint failure.

In summary, I think you’re making a mistake. It’s common to believe that one simple change can lift a vehicle without negative consequences, but it usually doesn’t end well.

How are you planning on lifting the rear of the truck?

You can lift the truck but be sure to do it with the truck supported. Tell them not to alter the lift and maybe the camber won’t be too far off to adjust. They usually know not to change the lift of the vehicle unless the vehicle is tilted to one side.