Body lift vs Suspension lift Pros n Cons

Old toy pickup. im looking for input on body lift vs suspension lift

Suspension lifts are the way to go. The body lift does not improve suspension articulation at all. All it allows you to do is fit larger tires. A good suspension lift will improve the off-road capability of your vehicle. There are also practical issues that can arise when using a body lift, sometimes the steering column will become misaligned, and you need to be wary of electrical connections along the body, it’s easy to snap a wire or two.

If you’re planning on lifting your truck, then you’re probably going to put upsized tires on it as well. This brings us to one of the most overlooked aspects of building an off-road truck, the issue of regearing. If you’re going more than an inch to two over stock-sized tires it’s necessary. If you don’t then your truck will be even more gutless than usual, fuel economy will suffer, drivability will suffer, and in rare cases the transmission might fail due to the added stress of being undergeared for the application. Expect to spend about $600 for a 2WD or $1200 for a 4WD.

To me, the body lift jobs don’t look as nice as the suspension lift jobs. If course you could do both, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Keep in mind that no matter which one you do, your vehicle will have a higher center of gravity than it would have otherwise, making it more dangerous and less able to handle emergency maneuvers. However, I think the suspension lift would be the lesser of two evils in this respect.

See your other post entitled “1980 Toyota 4x4” for my cmments on oevrsizing tires and on lifting suspension.

Myself I am glad this “fad” ended and if it does get done today there is a much better chance that it is a “pro” job. The 80’s were just nut’s over this stuff

Suspension VS Body. When you puchase a suspension lift for a vehicle, the manufacturer has it completely mapped out, you recieve or get reccomendations of what else you need. Its complete. Body lifts always leave some thing to chance, some thing always breaks and also if you are lifting an older vehicle, there is a good chance it will drive down the road crooked, meaning the other bushings in it are sagging on one side or the other. I do like 4x4’s and I have installed many lift systems, body on top of suspension, mixing IFS suspension and body on new vehicles making monsters. Attached is a picture of my discount Samarai, complete build with paint lift tires and wheels for under $1300.00. If I was working an old straight axle Toyota, new leafs, shocks, brake lines and a dual steering stab. would be the package I look at, depending on the lift I would also consider a dropped pitman arm and for street driving off set ball joints if camber issues become a factor (It always does with 35 inch and larger tires)

You are re-engineering your truck. You are asking for the advice of other amateur engineers. You will get advice.
Your truck was designed by real engineers. They made every effort to maximize your safety.

There must be a REASON for doing this, other than spending a lot of money, but I have NEVER been able to figure out what it is…

Such outrageously conspicuous consumption for such a trifling result. I have lately seen some cable channel show about brides and their gowns and laughed at the outrageousness of spending thousands of dollars on the event. I guess if her fiance can throw away thousands on his ego she can throw an equal amount away on hers. I’m sure glad I was too busy to get involved stroking my ego when I was younger. If someone can pay cash for such fantasies while keeping their finances is order I say enjoy it. But for most, it’s a spiral to bankruptcy. Jay Leno’s fleet is as insignificant to his income as a Happy Meal is to most people.

Suspension mod kits or lift systems are engineered by the corporations that put them to market. There is another world of auto parts when it comes to 4x4’s. If it is something you will enjoy no one should be able to deem it frivolous if you want it. Lift your truck kid, or don’t. I have read your posts, maybe you should leave it alone until you have a better understanding, but don’t let the guy driving the Prius guide you.

My son had a radically lifted truck-- he had to replace the suspension bushings every 2000 miles- now he has a mild lift on his daily driver… lifted suspension = worn-out bushings and shocks = bad idea