Torque Converter Clutch

Will a malfunctioning torque converter clutch cause any damage to my transmission?

By malfunctioning I assume you mean that it is not engaging? If this is the case it will decrease your mileage a little. It will also generate a little more heat, but the cooling system should be able to handle it.

Are you sure it’s the lockup clutch itself and not a bad electrical connection? Many newer cars will force the transmission into “limp” mode, or 2nd gear only, if there is a problem with the TC circuit or otherwise.

It is erratically and intermittently engaging/disengaging. I’m not sure what you mean by a bad electrical connection. My mechanic assumes that since it is not simply failing to engage or disengage that it is not the solenoid. My car is a 2002 Dodge Durango with 80000 miles on it. My mechanic wants to rebuild my transmission because of this intermittent TCC fault and the mileage. I just wondered if it will hurt anything to keep driving without spending $3000 on a rebuilt transmission and torque converter.

Dont let him rebuild the transmission because the TCC is falling in and out of lockup. One of the most common problems associated with this condition is a faulty TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor) Take it to a trans shop or dealer. They need to scan the computer to see whether the computer is commanding the condition. They can also, with a good scanner, test the TPS. Has anyone scanned the computer for codes???

transman

Your mechanic did not rule out the solenoid with such weak logic. Mechanics should know where the electrical connection could be bad. This saves the rest of us from having to know everything. I would want your $3,000 too if I did transmission (any) work.

They did scan the computer. The code they pulled from the computer was P0740 which indicates a faulty torque converter clutch I believe.