"Too Slow" on the Interstate- Argument between me and my wife

@dagosa‌

No need to pull over, you can tell while driving. You said it yourself. If, by and large, you are not passing, or being passed, by large volumes of people, you are going with the flow. If, on the other hand, most of the people are passing by you, you are the stone…

I’ve seen a few people who regularly drive WAY below the prevailing speeds up 95 here and they warn traffic with their hazards on. There was one guy that I would see maybe every other week doing around 45 with no indication he was going so slow. He looked like a buoy in the Merrimac river at low tide…

VDCdriver We may be triplets! I try to do banking and shopping mid morning or afternoon on weekdays. Except Friday. I have never figured out why traffic congestion triples on Friday.

Fridays are busy since wives shop for the weekend and there is still regular work traffic. We shop at Costco first thing Saturday morning and it’s fairly quiet then.

Friday is a typical vacation day for the weekday warriors.

Also, found the video clip of Carlin’s quote. And, surprisingly, it’s fowl language free.

“And, surprisingly, it’s fowl language free.”

Did you really expect him to talk about chickens?

;-))

Don’t you mean those $&@;#€¥ chickens. That would be foul fowl language ?

OK, fowl/foul, past/passed, there/they’re/their, to/ two/too, some/sum, son/sun, etc. I have to admit sometimes in haste I even write it wrong but it pays to reread stuff sometimes. Our Finance Director was terrible on emails and I would just tell him to reread his stuff once in a while before posting so people don’t get the wrong impression.

That’s OK, Bing. We don’t mined.

I’m as guilty as anyone when my “speller” inserts the “wrong” version of the same word when I misspell it, which is usual. Freaken IPads and my pudgy fingers don’t mix. No need to explain, we understand. Technology has gotten away from us.

A colleague of mine once ended an email by apologizing “for any incontinence this matter may have caused you.” She blamed spellchecker, but I’m still blaming her for me practically peeing my pants with laughter!!

Just an observation…but the performance by George C WAS, “fowl” language free…so there was nothing incorrect. :wink: he mentioned nothing about chickens, hens etc.

Just to get back on topic, this afternoon I had to go into the big city during rush hour. It was unavoidable. I had to take the freeway for about three miles to get to the gas station. I didn’t want to get up to the speeds in the left lanes so I stayed in the right lane and went about the speed limit.

No problems until I came up on the first interchange and one idiot on the on ramp came to a complete stop. Traffic was heavy and a long backup quickly formed (in a manner of seconds). Sure enough people started looking for ways to get around and I almost got hit from a car that was being forced into traffic by a truck that went to the right of the car and cut back in. We all managed to avoid each other, but it was close.

After getting gas at the next off ramp, I pulled back onto the freeway. At the bottom of the ramp, there was a car in the right lane right on my quarter panel, so I slowed down a little to fall in behind. Any guesses what the idiot that was on my quarter panel did? Yes, the jerk slowed down too to match my speed. I then tried my brakes to slow further, guess what the idiot did? Yep, he/she put on their brakes. I hit the gas and pulled ahead and merged just as I ran out of ramp.

Since I was going to trave about 10 miles on the second stretch, I sped up a little. The freeway necked down to four lanes from 8 (total) as it left the big city. I found myself doing upwards of 80 in a 55 so as to not hold up traffic. I did not pass a single vehicle during that 10 miles even though I was doing 75 to 80 all the way.

My point is that there are a lot worse things on the freeway than someone going the speed limit or a little below in the right lane.

@keith‌
You make a good case for having a car with power. You definitely have more options.

Too slow on ANY highway is dangerous. Period.Go the traffic flow, or walk.

@Masterskrain‌

In many areas, large commercial vehicles have a lower speed limit than cars

Since the commercial driver license is their livelihood, I wouldn’t blame anybody for not exceeding their speed limit

" . . . or walk."

I certainly hope you don’t mean walk on the shoulder of the highway . . .

For the record, I don’t think that’s what you meant, but I just wanted to be sure

dagosa, I have the 4 cylinder Legacy. If you look far enough ahead and plan properly, you don’t need a lot of power.

Sorry, but most of these posts sound like people trying to justify their driving way over the speed limit.

The speed limit is the speed limit, and driving over it is illegal. Driving under it IS legal, as long as you stay above the posted minimum speed, if there is one. And the speed limit is there for safety, driving over it is less safe than driving under it… despite what all these posts say.

Although I usually drive 5 MPH above the limit in good conditions, when there is rain or snow, I slow down. I remember driving at about 45 MPH in heavy snow in the right lane on the Mass Pike, and cars wizzing by me at 60 or more. Which driver do you think is driving safer?

b

Did you really expect him to talk about chickens?

No, just the chickens***s that are too afraid to drive faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember driving at about 45 MPH in heavy snow in the right lane on the Mass Pike, and cars wizzing by me at 60 or more. Which driver do you think is driving safer?

The speed limit on the Pike is dynamically set based on prevailing conditions. What was the displayed limit when you were doing 45 and “cars wizzing by me at 60 or more”?

Sorry, but most of these posts sound like people trying to justify their driving way over the speed limit.

And you are WRONG. I drive the speed limit…except…in moderate traffic in the Boston area. Driving the speed limit when everyone else is doing 75+ is DANGEROUS.