"Too Slow" on the Interstate- Argument between me and my wife

Driving under the speed limit is illegal when you are clearly causing problems for other drivers. Going considerably more slowly might be safer for that driver but it is a danger to every other driver on the road.

@keith‌
No doubt planning ahead is always a good strategy driving any car. But like those who say they have everything under control when in reality, what can happen in the blink of an eye, often unexpectedly, requires a spit second decision. Hitting the brakes and having a car that can stop quickly is important; but hitting the accelerator and have a reasonable response is also important. With all due respect, though I like the car in general for nearly every other reason, I avoided buying the Subaru 4 cylinder for that reason this last purchase. It’s

I really like AWD in the winter because I can accelerate in slippery conditions safely. If there are unforeseen instances where acceleration is important. I have the option to do it faster then anticipated and to me, that is always preferable. You want to be a little quicker and stronger as a person for the activities you engage in and you should expect the same of your car. IMHO, it’s a necessity.

In my state they still have “basic rule” If you are exceeding the speed limit you could technically be cited. If you are driving at the flow of traffic you are good. If you are driving at or less than the speed limit when road conditions such as dense fog or ice which is considered to fast, you can be cited.

Everyone should watch this. It’s long, but I think it’s well thought out and is the final word on the topic in my book:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best-takedown-of-the-speed-kills-myth-you-1302382244

The OP was patting himself on the back for saving the planet, but I can’t tell you how many times I have to brake my 40’ RV to slow down for a driver going well under the speed limit. I lose momentum, have to wait for a long break in traffic, and then have to accelerate around the offending driver. I get 6 MPG on a flat stretch of road. That “brake, wait, and go around” is burning MUCH more fuel than anything you think you are saving - and if I’m doing it, all the truckers are too. I have to accelerate 26,000 pounds. They have to accelerate 80,000.

I don’t drive over the speed limit, and I’m not in the left lane. If I’m slowing down because of you, you are moving well below the flow of traffic and shouldn’t be there.

Sorry, buddy, but I don’t have 15 minutes to watch “your video”

I used to have a high regard for Canada and their ruggedness but not anymore. We don’t want to become a Canada.

Yath, I think that was a truly excellent video and thank you for sharing it. It was well researched, well put together, supported by facts rather than conjecture, and makes excellent points.