"Too Slow" on the Interstate- Argument between me and my wife

“Driving too slow is dangerous, but driving too fast and dangerous is unacceptable”
+1

"Studies have shown that speed by itself is not as dangerous as the speed difference between vehicles on the same highway"
And, I also agree with that statement.

I am not a slow driver, but by the same token I try never to be the fastest one on the Turnpike.
Most of all, I remain extremely alert at all times, with my eyes constantly moving from the road, to the side view mirrors, to the rear view mirror, to the dashboard instruments.

Somehow, what I do when I am behind the wheel must be working, because I haven’t had any accidents (or even any very close calls) for 44 years.

OP–Would you care to clarify matters for us?

Yeah. I’m not talking about my driving. My wife drives just about everywhere we go. (You’ll be glad to know.) I make my wisecracks from the passenger’s seat. The conversation arises when she comes up behind a person who is going slower. Maybe about 45 in a 55 zone when traffic is going 65. (Usually the offender is in the right lane). My wife has plenty of time to react either to slow down or to safely pass. She gets really annoyed when she’s stuck in the right lane behind slowpoke and there’s too much traffic in the fast lane to get around him. She always says “That’s so dangerous”. And I say something helpful like, “Oh, come on honey, he’s just being extra careful”.

Now that its clarified, 45 in a 55 with traffic going 65 IS very dangerous.

As far as comparing speed to speed difference is concerned, that may be true that more accidents can occur during these situations. But, “not as dangerous” is a subjective phrase as the truth is, the higher the speeds, the less the reaction time and the greater the chance and severity of injury. Forces increase exponentially as speed increases. At high rates of speeds I have seen accidents where it took hours to even discern what make of car was involved it was so catastrophic.

In discussing a situation with local investigators, In one single car accident involving the son of a neighbor of ours and a Corvette going over 100mph, the only parts easily recognizable as car parts was the motor and transmission made of heavy metal. The landscape was littered with debris and sadly, other parts that were totally un recognizable to investigators initially. All safety devises were rendered totally useless from air bags to crash deforming frames. Just 30 mph less, and traveling over seventy, the occupants would still be speeding by 15 mph yet had a some chance for survival. The so called, great handling car could not even make a slight curve it was going so fast on a divided highway. It basted through a concrete and steel fence topped barrier which easily could hold cars at seventy and became airborn for over a hundred feet to stream bed below which ran through, ironically, a cemetery. It looked like a war zone. That was just a one car accident. So, I have to look skeptically at statements that say speed alone is not “as dangerous” …

As far as going 45 in a 55 with everyone else going 65, that IS dangerous. But those most at fault are those going 10 mph over then those going 10 mph under. People towing trailers or carrying heavy loads or cars temporarily burdened by motor problems and the elderly typically travel 5 to ten under. I often travel slower in a right lane on a congested highway preparing for a right handed exit to avoid last minute lane changes. It’s a good reason for others to obey the efin speed limit to begin with…as your wife should be. You are right, she is wrong and helping more to create the hazard. I have nothing against increasing speed to keep up with the flow for yourself, but don’t blame a potential accident on a slower driver. It’s you that is a fault and you accept that responsibility when you speed. You will be the one adjudged more responsible if an accident occurs, rightfully so. Keeping up with the flow is not a worthwhile defense either if one happens. Your car is the offender if the other car is not driving below the minimum speed…often 45 in a 55. So, I would not call the slow car the offender. :wink:

George Carlin put it best:
“Everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.”

I miss George Carlin !

Here in Illinois you’d be putting yourself in harms way driving like that. If our speed limit is 55mph on a highway, and your in ANY lane driving that speed (or worse, like the OP, slower) you’ll be past by EVERYONE. The folks that will be passing you will be doing between 70mph - 90MPH. ISP doesn’t even look at you for speeding unless your 21mph over the limit or more. So the OP is driving down our highway doing 50mph and have people blow by doing 30mph faster than them, would you want to be in the OP’s car? Would you feel safe? Nope. Drive the same speed as the flow of traffic and everyone will be a lot safer.

I get annoyed too when I get trapped behind some slowpoke, but I would be very cautious about trying to get them to speed up. They or their car may not be in optimal shape for driving faster so making them go faster would be more dangerous than leaving them alone.

As I get older, I find that I am slowing down some. I still drive a little faster than most, but not as fast as I used to. I judge that by comparing how many vehicles I pass vs how many pass me. I still pass about 4 or 5 to every one that passes me, it used to be like 99 to 1.

But since I am retired, I do my best to avoid being on the road during rush hour or any high traffic volume times and I try to avoid known construction zones. No use adding to the congestion if its not necessary. If all retirees did that, it may not be much but every little bit helps.

“I actually see this as a form of road rage where you are attempting to make a statement to others around you rather than just trying to drive for all concerned.” (Bing)

In our family we call that “playing Keeper of the Speed” and it’s not a compliment if one is accused of it.

I think that Keith & I may have been separated at birth.
What he wrote is exactly what I think regarding this subject, and his driving style sounds just like mine.

In addition to retirees trying to not drive during rush hour, I feel that retirees also should try to avoid the bank during lunch hour, and the supermarket on Saturday morning. Since we have flexibility that working folks lack, I think that it is only common courtesy for us to not clog-up the process in banks and stores when other folks have to be there as a result of their work schedules. Yes, I am serious.

Since this has drug out to five pages, I’ll pipe in too.
johlL101 says ‘‘slower and easier is safer’’ without event desciption untill later when we define just how much slower …and see that THAT is not true.

SMOOTHER and easier is …more efficient and
coordinating with traffic is safer.

go with the flow without tromping on the gas or the brake or swerving.
Just mildly get where you’re going without being a boulder in the stream.

Yes, I agree, we retirees should be locked away whenever circumstances exist in which we might inconvenience the important people. Then when the important people become retirees, they can be locked up too!

I too am serious. I’m illustrating that line of thinking brought to extremes. I’m seriously pointing out how faulty that line of thinking really is.

I have more right to access this country’s blessings than millions who side with our enemies and millions more who are here illegally. Let THEM adjust their schedules around ME. And that goes for convicted felons, too.

You seldom know what the real flow actually is when the traffic reaches a certain density. If you are traveling within 5 mph of the limit with the majority of people, few of you will ever pass many and make your self known to everyone else. The ten cars driving in a pack going 15 mph over are passing everyone and intimidating them into to thinking, they are the natural flow. These groups of five to ten cars are actually in the minority while the majority are driving within 5 mph of the speed limit. The only way you can know for sure, is to park on the side of the road with a radar and start taking samples.

Well SMB, you can deal with the interstate parking lot and the long lines at the supermarket if you want, but now that I can avoid them, I will.

I miss the morning rush hour because I’m sleeping in.

Side Note, remembering some old car that could not go faster than 45 mph my guess, with a big sign on back, “Pass kindly please” Ya know cool, it is a world of diversity,and I do not mind that guy 1/10 as much as 2 cars in lockstep in a 2 lane highway preventing us wanting to go speed limit and backing up traffic because 2 drivers are stuck at 10 under side by side.

I wouldn’t say it’s as bad as the guys doing 20 or 30 mph faster than everyone else, weaving lane to.lane. on a road that’s full.of cars.

But to slow is not good.

I’ll have to admit I don’t remember mornings very much anymore. I did get honked at today though. Really my fault. I wasn’t paying attention at the stop light and going through my 100 plus radio stations from my free trial for taking my car in for the recall. It takes a while to go through 100 stations and by the time the guy honked, the three cars ahead of me were already gone. I think he was patient enough and not sure if he was a young whipper snapper or not, so I deserved it. I coulda sat there another five minute though-no schedule, no pressure, just people messin’ with me is all.

@‌Johnl01
My argument might be influenced by the joy I get in ticking my wife off.
If this is playful banter between the two of you then, lol.
If you truly find joy in making her mad then you simply must grow up and act like a man.

My 79 Chevy pickup only has a three speed THM350. It is geared low so by the time you get to 45mph your mind is looking for the next shift…there is none…abadaba-that’s all folks. ( this is the transmission that shifts SMOOTHER when pulling a 27’ trailer ! )
So I wrap it up a bit more to cruise the five miles to Home Depot and just suck it up and go 55…no hurries…no worries… ( it will get to 70 or so but it’s really screamin’ by then )
but you can see the faces of the passing traffic as they look at me in wonderment as to why I’m not going faster…if only they could know the truth.
— which , by the way , gives ME pause for thought as I pass others just tooling along.
Just co-ordinate with them and pass when I can or just wait.

Waay too slow on a much faster hiway is dangerous.
slow-ER is just the way they want to drive today.
Around here we call it being on REZ TIME. Other areas have their own terms for the same thing.
not in a hurry,
no deadlines,
no need to be anywhere …till you get there.