Too much engine oil?

Hello, I had a friend who is a mechanic change my oil for me. I just checked the oil level and it is above the maximum indicator. He says that it isn’t going to harm the engine. Any advice?

That is a lot over, I would be worried about the crank hitting it and foaming the oil causing oil starvation.

Also, if that was just changed, I think you need to change your oil more often.

I cannot see the meniscus in the photo, but if the circle indicates its location you’re fine. You look to be about 1/2 pint over. A typical engine will tolerate that much overage without problems.

The reason oil cannot be TOO high is because if the crankshaft begins to be immersed in it the crankshaft can whip the oil into a frappe (aerate it) making it difficult for the pump to draw and making it ineffective as a protective barrier for the bearings.

Lowering the level is easy if you choose to. Simply place a drain pan under the vehicle, remove the plug for a moment (holding it right by the drain hole) and put it back in, then if it’s a bit low add a bit. You can just put it back in finger tight to make it easy to put in & out until you have the level adjusted to where you’re comfortable. Then you can torque it back in, using only a stubby wrench so you don’t strip the threads.

The volume of oil measured between those two marks is usually set up as one quart. If that’s the case w/your car, as posted above, you are over by maybe 1/2 pint . Unlikley to cause any problems. I should add however that I change my own oil and if it was over by that much I’d drain a little out, just to be on the safe side. If oil goes to ploaces it shouldn’t it can cause an assortment of expensive problems to correct. So if it takes another 15 minutes effort to get it spot-on at the top mark, in my mind it’s worth it. Pay him for another 15 minutes, that’s like $25, and do it right. Everyone will be happier.

I am not interpreting what I see the same as the_ same mountianbik. I see the full mark just to the right of the blue circle, what I took to be the oil level is at the the distance above the full mark the same as the distance from the full to the add. On my Camry, the add mark is 1.6 quarts below the full mark and dipstick readings are not always linear.

I see nothing inside the blue circle buy see a faint line just to the right of it. If that denotes the oil level then the amount over is insignificant.

it’s hard to tell from your photo- did you wipe off the dipstick and reinsert it- and then see where the level is? it almost looks like this is the first pull of the dipstick, and oil is splashed on it- which is normal after driving.

If the oil is sitting in the blue circle after checking:
-with the engine cold (or sitting for at least 15 minutes after a drive,)
-you pulled dispstick out,
-wiped the dipstick off,
-reinserted it,
-pulled it back out and then checked it

then you have way too much oil in it. If it is just above the upper dot on the dipstick (to the right of your blue circle,) then I would say it is fine.

“Lowering the level is easy if you choose to. Simply place a drain pan under the vehicle, remove the plug for a moment (holding it right by the drain hole) and put it back in, then if it’s a bit low add a bit. You can just put it back in finger tight to make it easy to put in & out until you have the level adjusted to where you’re comfortable. Then you can torque it back in, using only a stubby wrench so you don’t strip the threads.”

That doesn’t sound too easy. I have a LiquiVac unit (made in U.S.A.) that would make this easy, would take just a moment.

I bought it mainly for periodically changing some automatic transmission fluid in our family “fleet.” I got the 8 quart model. It turns a tedious, messy job into something close to pleasant.
http://www.liquivac.com/

CSA

1 Like

“Also, if that was just changed, I think you need to change your oil more often.”

Why? it looks pretty good to me!
CSA

1 Like

I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like you are holding the dipstick UP. In a position where the oil would flow up, away from the tip. When you remove it, it needs to be held level or with the tip pointed down. I would also suggest doing this on the level, when the engine is cold. The oil will be thicker and easier to see on the dipstick.

If it is 1/2 pt over, as some say they see, I wouldn’t worry about it.

My oil looks clearer than that just BEFORE I change it. It is a 2012 Camry and I change it at 7000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

I looked at the picture and really don’t know where the oil level is. Without seeing it in person who knows what the oil really looks like. The mechanic friend says there is not a problem and that should have been good enough for the OP. If you look at the OP’s past topics they lean towards paranoia.

$54.99 isn’t a bad price either for the big model…fits onto the dipstick for the car easily? I was “gifted” an older lawnmower from my parents and judging by the rust on the oil plug, they never changed it…this would probably be the easier way to drain the oil short of physically flipping the lawn mower upside down…

@bravesfan314

I understand that quite a few people use these for lawnmowers. Some mowers have no drain plug. One changes the oil by tipping the machine and catching it at the oil filler/dipstick tube.

I got my Vac right off the shelf at TSC, Tractor Supply Company.
CSA

1 Like

I had one like that once…worst oil change ever. Never bought another mower that didn’t include a drain plug…Looks like I’m heading to Lowes sometime in the near future!

My 95 Camry took 3.8 quarts of oil at each oil change.

I just added 4 quarts and oil level was about where yours is.

Nothing to worry about.

Tester

I have a former trucker bud, he gets oil changes done. When he gets home from an oil change he adds an extra quart. Never heart anyting yet for the last 20 years at least.

You’re my kind of car owner @iDriveA2014Corolla. After many oil-change related posts here at CarTalk I wrote up a short story on an owner’s responsibility when getting oil changed. Sounds dumb, maybe, but too many people just drive on and never check it.

1 Like

@gorehamj:
The link you posted “owner’s responsibility when getting oil changed” is a link to your for-profit business.
Is that allowed per the terms of this site?

1 Like

I didn’t click on Mr @gorehamj 's link , but I concur w/the sentiment expressed. It’s great that the OP took the time to check the dipstick after the oil change was done. A lot of grief could be prevented if more car owners checked up like this on the quality of work done on their cars.

That is SPAM.
I checked out that link and it is clearly and completely an advertisement for gorehamj’s business… if that’s his real name, which I doubt. I have tagged his post as spam.

One does not need to post an advertisement for his business to state a point. Polluting the forum in this manner should not be tolerated.

1 Like