Toilet Paper and Car Driving... Have you driven extra distance for some, lately?

Amazon? Ships directly from Wuhan, China? Just asking for a friend.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I couldn’t care less where it comes from.

1 Like

Here are my experiences . . .

The Costco lines are outrageous . . . I figure some of those guys were probably waiting outside a few hours before the store(s) open.

If you want toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, toilet paper, clorox, etc. Costco is out, unless you’re willing to wait hours on end before the store opens. I’m not willing to do that

On the other hand . . .

Last weekend, I went to Target about 20 minutes before they opened. There was already a line, but it was probably no more than 50 people. It was actually very organized. Once the store opened and people walked inside, everybody was given a shopping cart and told which line to get in for those items I already mentioned. One each per customer. So for toilet paper, that would mean 1 pack, probably 24 rolls. Paper towels was 1 pack, maybe 12 rolls or so. 1 pack of wipes was a 3 pack. And so on.

Another nice thing . . . the employees hand out disinfecting wipes and gloves to everybody. Everybody was very nice. No pushing and shoving, no yelling

Had no problem getting toilet paper, clorox, wipes and paper towels at my Ralphs supermarket . . . part of Kroger chain . . . this weekend, and I didn’t even get there particularly early. Well stocked, no complaints.

Kind of funny how at the moment Costco of all places is the hardest to get those things

I do my Costco shopping in the evenings. No lines, and I couldn’t care less if they’re out of those items I mentioned, because I already stocked up at Target and Ralphs. I’m good for at least several months

that’s what my brother does. He’s been doing it for years, though, well before the corona virus started

Oh, and as for distance . . .

I didn’t go out of my way. I just went to the stores I usually go to.

I like your attitude about the military. That is my fear here that it will be a little step closer, drip by drip. I’ve never been to Czechia but to Prague several times. I was impressed with their great love of freedom after the commies left. Some folks here have no idea.

Back to TP though, the guys that run the sewer system are warning not to use things like paper towels and wipes and so on because it doesn’t degrade and plugs their filters. Seems to me then it would be nice to inform us where you can buy it. I did notice the farm store ad this week is advertising it on sale. Huh. Must be old news.

While the grocery stores are out of TP, I’ve been able to order it from office supply outlets. They even deliver.

I checked last week, and they were sold out. Probably re-supplied by now. But I have enough for a few weeks.

Nobody has any for sale around here. When an oddball delivery is made, it gets sold out instantly. Amazon, Office Depot, Staples, no one has it. We had enough to just barely get by being very conservative. So when my sister-in-law said she found some and bought us a big pack, I drove about 100 miles one way and two states away to get it.

1 Like

I bet nobody is using those TP oil filters these days. These oil filter kits were advertised to save money and give better filtering. Today, a roll of toilet paper may cost more than an oil filter. Also, TP may work as an oil filter, but the oil filter can’t be substituted for toilet paper.

3 Likes

Speaking of TP I don’t know if it is true or not but I heard the storey that put Green Bay Wisconsin on the map long before the footballl team was they was the first to make TP without splinter’s.

2 Likes

Plugs your toilets too. One of my wife’s friend’s husband is a plumber. She wants everyone to toss facial tissues and paper towels down the toilet. That plugs the toilet in short order and makes a lot of work for her husband. Cha-Ching!

1 Like

Not to mention what it’s doing to a septic system. New septic system and leach field is north of $40,000. Well over 80% of NH population are on Septic. And one study says many are failing. That’s great for the well water most of us get our water from.

@MikeInNH. The county in Indiana where I grew up in Indiana became progressive and a county wide sewer system was installed for much of the county. The house where I grew up had a septic system and a well. That house now is connected to the sewer system and now has city water. The house we had built back in 1972 had a septic system and well water. I had five acres of land and had a really muddy part of our field. There was an addition of expensive houses just down the road and at least one house had hooked into a field tile that went across our land. The health department gave me permission to block the field tile. The septic tank pumper trucks made frequent trips to the addition of upscale homes after I blocked the field tile. Ultimately, after I sold the property, the county sewer system was extended to the addition of houses and on down to the house I had owned.
I liked living in the country, but it became too much to try to keep up the property, so we moved to town. The university where I was on the faculty began demanding more research and grants for promotion and merit pay. Our son is a professor at another university. He had a 3 bedroom house 35 minutes from his campus. He sold the house and he and his wife and teen age daughter moved into a two bedroom condo they bought which is a five minute walk to his office. Instead of having a study at his residence, he often walks over to his office to work at night.
I miss the country in many ways, but I don’t miss fighting septic systems and well pumps.

Why not demand that the local goverments or the state mandate that all residential properties be connected to municipal sewer systems?

We’re trying to get the sewer extended in our town. Been trying for 5 years. Never gets passed.

Live Free or DIE

@old_mopar_guy. In my county in Indiana, an ordinance was passed that any new residence either had to be on at least 5 acres if it couldn’t be connected to the municipal sewer system. This really put a damper on real estate developers who were buying up farmland and putting up houses on city sized lots and installing inadequate sewage systems. The soil in my part of Indiana is clay and doesn’t percolate well.

Demand it or make sure your township officials know you will make it your life’s work to see them thrown out of office.

Let the developers move somewhere else.

The VAST majority of the town voted it down. It’s an uphill battle. We vote on every item in our town budget. With the political climate here in NH…it will never pass.

Unfortunately, your neighbors are morons.

Yes, it could be old news. Old newspapers will work in a pinch. Don’t ask how I know, but lately the stock quotes section works best.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like