To Trade or Not to Trade?

toyota
rav4
touareg2

I recently purchased a used 07 toyota Rav4 and love the car but it’s under-powered for my needs, i would love to trade it for a similar year SUV with a 6 or 8 cyl. I’ve only ever owned Toyota’s and am a little leery of European brands but really love the styling and features. I’m looking at a VW Touareg, any advise regarding a VW Touareg or BMW i3, i live in a smaller town w/o a good import mechanic that i know of.
Thanks!

You just answered your own question besides how much power do you need anyway.

Do you realize a BMWi3 is an all electric vehicle?

The VW Touareg has a quite poor reliability record, so take that into account.

“Underpowered”? just about all american models are overpowered by European (and my) standards.

Styling , so many cars look like other cars these days it makes you think there is only one design studio.

Good news, the 2005-2012 Toyota RAV-4 could be had with a 3.5L V6, the same engine that can propel the larger Highlander to 60 MPH in about 7 seconds. The V6 RAV-4 could accomplish the same feat in less than 6 and half seconds. It’s not lacking for power.

Alternatively, you could get a Forester XT with the turbocharged flat four from the WRX.

Car Talk Lackey
For Nearby Import Mechanic::

If you love to loose money, trade it, if you are a tightwad live with it.

You have some valid points

but I believe it should be traded for something reliable

Considering that OP is familiar and comfortable with Toyota, a Highlander would make a good choice, IMO

They’re fairly common in my area, and I believe any competent mechanic should be able to do basic repairs and maintenance

Since you talk about trading your RAV4, I assume you want a new SUV. Toyota has four SUVs with 6 or 8 cylinder engines: 4Runner, Highlander, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia. Have you looked at them? Gas mileage will be lower, but that is true for any larger engine, especially in a larger vehicle.

The OP indicated they wanted to trade for similar year (2007). That is probably a costly move.

Honda CRV is relatively inexpensive and reliable. Whatever you decided to buy, much better to get newer than 07 model.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It’s greatly appreciated. After considerably more research the VW’s/BMW’s have been ruled out. Really been enjoying the Rav4 4cyl I have and looking at a Rav4 v6, similar year.
Thanks again for your thought’s/advice.

meant the X3…