To the thinkers , or original-thinkers

i am from northern new york and i am wondering if there is a place to develop-manufacture to prototype a gasoline engine with a radical-reduction in pollution , at the same time the engine shall have a radical-torque increase,400 rpm at all times, vehicle speed is set by a hydroststic type trans, no super-turbo chargers , four_tuned@yahoo.com

Please work on the written proposal for your backers. You might employ the services of a writer to help in removing all the grammatical, and semantic, mistakes before you make your presentation.

I agree.

tee hee

How much torque can you produce at 400 rpm? hydrostatic trannies are ok for lawn mowers.

Gosh guys. I think we failed the original thinker test.

revelstic:

they actually have had these before. they DON’T work. they ARE simple to make and produce. BUT they are huge fuel suckers.

gas turbine engines are made the size of a small garbage can, produce around 300hp to 400 hp but are not practical.

NEXT

Write up a detailed Technical proposal. It will take up more than 3 lines to persuade any one to go through the paperwork. There are a ton of job shops in Chicago and Indy area that can handle something like that. Actually you can also look up some Aerospace manufacturing shops in New England area that can do it. Thee expertise is there all you need is some sound finincial backing . One offs are very expensive. You can save some money by using as many off the shelf parts as possible.
If you are serious good luck. Ther is a lot of hard work ahead of you. Another path may be to find a Graduate Engineering research program that will allow you to work on this. That may be easier than the first path.

If you’re serious, search on Dept of Energy (DOE) Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grants.

The major problem you may have is that you are talking about an extremely low RPM engine with massive amounts of torque.
This can usually be obtained only with a heavy flywheel and long stroke. Driveability would be pretty bad because the engine would be inherently rough.

Examples over the years could be the early Ford 1 cylinder race car with a redline of about 100 RPM, oil field pump engines, and even some of those old BSA motorcycle “thumpers”. The bikes were single cylinder, about 500 CCs in displacement, and were pretty cantankerous.

It seems to me if this were possible someone would have done it already since the idea has been around for a 100 years.
High torque usually means some heavy abuse of the drivetrain also.
No suggestions from me as to how to actually accomplish this but I would imagine any funding to you is going to be dependent upon your verified engineering skills or the skills of engineers working with you. It’s not likely they’re going to give a grant to someone working out of a shed in the backyard.

As others have said, your writing is s***.

But, they have these already (sort of): They’re called train engines. They are huge diesel engines running at up to 900 rpm producing prodigious torque and acting as a generator, and speed is controlled via electric motors at the wheels. Of course, these engines displace something like 14,000 liters.

The problem with your proposal is that gas engines generally don’t produce a lot of torque at low RPM. You’d be better off to use a diesel engine, since their strokes are longer anyway, they produce more torque, especially at low RPM, and they can take quite a lot of abuse.

But, I still have a question: why?

Go to a good library and look in the Thomas Register books for engine mfrs to present your proposal to. Before you send details, sign, date and have each page of your proposal signed by two witnesses as initial protection of your idea if you should want to patent it. Send copies but keep the original signed pages. You can also find people who supply prototyping services in the Thomas Register. There is an online Thomas Register.

PS, if you choose the prototyping route, you will need to furnish a set of drawings complete with dimensions, tolerances, material specifications, surface finishes, hardness specification for certain vital parts. I anticipate that several vendors will be used to make various parts, depending on their abilities and specialties. Even if you are familiar with making these drawings, you will find that to be a project in itself. Parts must be dimensioned to fit and I guarantee that even the best people make errors that need to be corrected. After that, typically nothing works as intended out of the chute and then you will encounter the R & D process to bring the product to a marketable quality. After that is manufacturing tooling and then marketing. You can do all or none of this yourself.

Or, as the OP put it in several other cryptic posts:

( whys )

Huh?

Yeah, there are engineering firms that will help you with this. How much money do you have? You’ll need tons.

PostScript: your odds of winning the lottery are way, way better than of your having come up with a better engine. And the cost is a teeny tiny fraction of the cost of having an engineering firm work up and test your theory.

Here’s another aspect of your quest to consider. Go to Google, more, and go to the patent section. Search for patents for engine designs using whatever key words you want. If you find that what you are proposing has already been thought of, then you can save a lot of effort. It is also possible that your proposal has already been considered by one or more engine companies, has not been patented but has been discarded or shelved. That does not mean that it is not possible for you to pursue your idea.

Is he talking about the Model-T planetary transmission system? :slight_smile:

i am wondering if there is a place to develop-manufacture to prototype a gasoline engine with a radical-reduction in pollution

Modern gasoline engines used in cars already produce very small amounts of pollution. There is no radical reduction possible.

You might also contact Rensaalaer (sp?) Polytech Institute in Troy, NY and see what info that you might be able to glean from them. They’re practically in your back yard.

Yeah, stop by RPI and speak with the department chair of the mechanical engineering department. He’ll get a kick out of this.