To Repair or Replace

The differential on my 2003 Nissan Murano has failed, and it will cost about $5K to repair it. My question is should i have the car repaired, and hope to get another year or two out of it, or should i forget the repair and move on to a new/used car? we love this car, and have no other problems with it.

Then I’d say fix it. $5000.00 is a lot cheaper for a car you like than $25,000.00 for another one.

I’m sure there is a Murano wreck somewhere with a good differential, which will be much less than 45000.

Just curious:Do you believe this is a example where extended warranty would have been cost effective?Did you do a trade off comparison,cost of warranty vrs. potential repairs? But getting to your question keep searching for better price,this is a dealer price,right? When asking questions about should I repair or get out of the car give more info like mileage,body condition,etc. These repair or not calls can be hard to make so all the info you can give makes it easier,I mean everything tells us about brakes ,tires,special equip all.You did say you like the car,so the car must fit your needs,this is good info and is part of deciding to repair or not.But that price Yuck.

Five grand sounds like a brand new factory OEM differential is being recommended. If the car runs well and is straight then I would check around with a salvage yard and get a used one. Some yards will even install what they sell.

On the offchance that a local yard may not have one ask if they can find one on their parts locator service. Many yards are tied together with a system like Eden, etc. and may be able to access as many as a 1000 yards instantly.

Differentials are not prone to failure. What are the symptoms? Front or rear differential? Maybe you need a second opinion on both the diagnosis and the repair cost.

Sorry, that was meant to read "“much less than $5000”.

Just curious:Do you believe this is a example where extended warranty would have been cost effective?

Only if you knew ahead of time that it was going to have that problem.

Who quoted you $5k ? Nissan Dealer ? I’d shop around for an independent shop who can do the job for less.

:Do you believe this is a example where extended warranty would have been cost effective?

Of course it is…That’s why it’s called 20/20 hindsight. If you KNEW IN ADVANCE what problems the vehicle you’re purchasing then it would a GREAT way to help you decide if you need the extended warranty.

If I was the OP …and knowing what how reliable all my Nissans have been…there is no way I’d have purchased the extended warranty.