To repair or not to repair

Hi all,
I really need some advice, here is my dilemma. I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 4-wheel drive and the transmission went out about a yr ago in July. It’s been sitting ever since because the repair bill for a “new” re-built transmission is $3500 and to replace it with a used transmission is $2000. It’s a pretty good car all around and the engine is about 3 yrs old, it was re-built when I bought it (under warranty) I haven’t had any other major issues with it, but I’m sure it needs some overall tune-up work, because its’ been sitting for so long. It has about 85,000 miles on it.
So my problem is this:
I’m a single mom, working part-time and trying to go to school. I’ve been using public transportation and for the most part that is working out just fine and I will continue to use it for my Mon-Fri routine. But the dilemma is with my limited resources and using the public transportation for commuting, would it be worth it to repair my SUV or to buy another car. Possibly something smaller; for gas saving primarily as well as maintenance costs. What can I buy out-right for the amount of money for the repair? Is there something more reliable that falls in this price range.
I do own my car and do not want to get into a car note. So whatever I buy has to be for cash. There isnt any sentimental attachment, I’m just looking for straight numbers, i.e maintance, insurance, gas, etc. If you know where I can get that type of info that would be great.
Thanks

Hi all,
I really need some advice, here is my dilemma. I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 4-wheel drive and the transmission went out about a yr ago in July. It’s been sitting ever since because the repair bill for a “new” re-built transmission is $3500 and to replace it with a used transmission is $2000. It’s a pretty good car all around and the engine is about 3 yrs old, it was re-built when I bought it (under warranty) I haven’t had any other major issues with it, but I’m sure it needs some overall tune-up work, because its’ been sitting for so long. It has about 85,000 miles on it.
So my problem is this:
I’m a single mom, working part-time and trying to go to school. I’ve been using public transportation and for the most part that is working out just fine and I will continue to use it for my Mon-Fri routine. But the dilemma is with my limited resources and using the public transportation for commuting, would it be worth it to repair my SUV or to buy another car. Possibly something smaller; for gas saving primarily as well as maintenance costs. What can I buy out-right for the amount of money for the repair? Is there something more reliable that falls in this price range.
I do own my car and do not want to get into a car note. So whatever I buy has to be for cash. There isnt any sentimental attachment, I’m just looking for straight numbers, i.e maintance, insurance, gas, etc. If you know where I can get that type of info that would be great.

I’d repair it. Where else will you find a reliable vehicle for $3500?