Tires that will last

My 4X4 pickup was aligned when I got new tires last year. Truck is ten years old, 70,000 miles. Alignment before specs were the same as they were when aligned ten years ago.
If your tires show no abnormal wear patterns, I see no reason for yearly alignment.

3 Likes

If you drive where I do - southwestern CT, you would align yearly.

As affluent an area Connecticut claims to be, the streets around here can be downright bone-jarring.

Leave it the way it is now, standard.

As an energy saver, many studies have prove DST moot, and in some parts of the country, it delays sunrises excessively.

Yes, I’m probably the only living American who prefers 4:30am sunrises where I live!

As far as tire life, a great deal of it depends on what kind of car they are going on. Some cars have alignment specs and suspension systems that allow for great handling and performance, but at the sacrifice of tire life.

Mercedes, for example, has some cars that specify so much positive caster (like 8-9 degrees) that results in excessive camber roll on cornering, which eats up the outer edge of the tires.

1 Like

I never thought of it that way.

Still, if folks would just get the basics right(pressure, how they drive, etc, ) it helps.

Absolutely not true… You Chris, or anybody else for that matter can drive a Z06 and baby the way that you drive and not get anywhere the milage that driving a Corolla LE will gwt you driving the way that you drive… The Z06 with OE Goodyear’s will get about 6K miles out of them, the Bridgestone’s will get about 10K miles… (A customers Z06 we put tires on)

As noted by asemaster, alignment specs, weight of vehicle (given the same tire), will all play a part in tire life…

Also has a lot to do with the tread compound, a UTQG Treadwear rating of 200 is not going to last as long as a 700…

To steal a few articles from @CapriRacer, hope you don’t mind sir…

That being said, if we both drive the exact same vehicle with the same tires in the same place everyday until the test was done, and properly maintained as you described, then yes your tires would last much longer than mine, but I would be having more fun out of mine… lol

3 Likes

The kind of “fun” you’re having would be suitable at a local race track.

I’m with you. My Camaro is good for 20K at best (summer tires). But my wife can easily get 40K in her Ford Edge. Funny but the tires cost about the same now on both cars.

1 Like

I completely agree with you on the tall narrow tires, I find them better in both rain and snow and I made my living in the snow, driving to Watertown NY and Montreal via Watertown and Malone out of Buffalo.

I bought one CD from the dollar bin t to make sure the CD Player in my car worked and I never streamed anything and would have no idea how.

2 Likes

An F-250 SuperDuty with twin I-beam front suspension will eat front tires from day one, no matter what you do

And that’s just one example of vehicles that eat tires, in spite of you checking all of the boxes

1 Like

Had 6 year old tires, had to replace due to deterioration, 45 k miles, plenty of tread depth, Michelins have been my go-to brand.

2 Likes