Tires that will last

Why didn’t you? I’m a fan of those Destinations and would buy another set if I needed.

I thought I’d try something different… my bad!

1 Like

I have the Destinations LE2’s on my hotrod right now… unfortunately when I go to a much wider rear tire I will have to chose another brand… sad… But I have sold thousands of LE, LE2 and LE3’s over the years, very few complaints and customers have told me that they ride like a Michelin’s but with much better wet weather traction… I am also very impressed how well the hook in the rain, I don’t drive much in the rain with a spool… lol

I put a set of Michelin Defenders on my 93 Toyota pickup (yes OEM is 14" car tires) and they were worn out in 28,000 miles, all highway driving, also had multiple flats. They weren’t up to Michelin’s normal high standards. The Defender IIs I put on my Nissan sedan appear to have a thicker tread and better build quality.

As for those Michelin Defenders, we’ve used them for our fleet’s trucks

All I can say is that LT Defenders don’t last a long time

Maybe the non-LT Defenders are a different story . . . ?

1 Like

Y’all ever run the Transforce HT’s?? Most of the fleet company’s I delt with loved them…

We’ve had them, as well, but I don’t remember how they fared

1 Like

Keep in mind that tires that last a long time often have harder rubber that gives less traction. As for me, I’d rather replace my tires more often and know that I have good dry traction, wet traction, and snow traction for safety.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, my experience has been the exact opposite. Our tires are always replaced in the fall if there’s not enough tread for the upcoming winter.

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve been more impressed with the Michelin Defender LTX on my wife’s Grand Cherokee than the Goodyears that it came with. I’m curious as to others’ issues with them here?

I’ve had good luck with Michelins. With that said I rarely get the rated mileage out of them, or any tire I’ve tried for that matter. I typically go for the ultra-high performance all-seasons regardless of tire make. I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4’s on my Mustang currently, they are about year old and so far have met expectations. Previously I had two sets of Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s, which were also excellent. I’ve also had Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 sports, which were summer tires on my old Mustang, they were decent, and worked surprisingly well in the winter as well. Also had some BF Goodrich G-Force Comp A/S’s which were very good for the money, and a set of BFG summer tires ( I can’t remember the exact name but they had a “2” in the name, and they had a strange tread pattern), those were also good, but didn’t last very long.

Worst tires I’ve had were a set of cheap Generals way back in the late 90’s on my T-Bird SC they replaced a set of higher quality Michelins, I got what I paid for. And the factory tires on my current Mustang (Pirelli P Zero summers) were sketchy below 50 degrees, downright dangerous at near freezing temps, and utterly mediocre when it was warm out, they also lasted all of 11k miles.

For a daily driver where all you really want is long life, you really can’t go wrong with General RT 43’s or RT 45’s.

Tires are an expensive gamble so I tend to stick with what works for me until I am forced to move on. Yokohama Avid and Geolanders seem to work well and last a long time for me. It would be rare to get the full advertised miles out of a set before they are worn enough to change but 50k on daily drivers is typical for me.

Defenders wore out at 30k. Got Goodyear and noisy as hell. Ride nice but so loud

I did get 80K out of a set of Uniroyal Tigerpaws in the late 90s

They wore evenly and were very nondescript in every way. I don’t remember them being particularly good or bad in any category

I did rotate them at every single oil change, which was every 5K, and that may have contributed to their relatively long life

1 Like

I research based on wet traction as #1 priority, previously had Wranglers, this past November, Michelin Defenders and Continentals came up first, got the Defenders. Notice no difference from the Wranglers in ride, noise, or traction.

Any tire will last a good long time if you:

1. Maintain vehicle recommended cold tire pressures.

2. Don’t peel out from a green light

3. Don’t screech to a halt at a red light, or behind traffic

4. Don’t take turns routinely like the Dukes of Hazzard.

5. Have wheels aligned yearly at a competent shop.

1 Like

There are TONS of factors and some vehicles eat tires, no matter what you do . . .

So there’s no way I’m agreeing with you on this

5 Likes

I get that all the time, on any subject!

I’m against the clock change next Sunday.

I like narrow high profile tires vs wide low profiles.

I prefer CDs to streaming.

Gotta be true to myself I guess.

1 Like

I’m ok with the time change but want to just leave it there for good. I’ve got over 20 clocks to change and see no point.

I’m beyond the point though that I worry about how long tires last. I put tires on one car just to have good ones for the winter. They were the yellow. The other one is at 7/32 so I’ll probably. Change next fall for the winter. I don’t like problems anymore.

I collect and fix watches, I have well over 20 just wrist watches. I don’t even want to think about the clocks and pocket watches.