Tires for a 2009 toyota camry hybrid

I just took my car to the dealership and they told me that I
it would be best to purchase the new tires I need from them because there are sensors in the wheels and if the tires aren’t changed properly they could break the sensors. Of course, I would like to purchase the tires elsewhere. Your thoughts re this and any tire recommendations? I live in San Diego, so climate is mild. Thanks, Marjorie

Buying tires is a complex issue. Within a given tire size, there can be a wide range of performance. Some tires have excellent traction and some have excellent wear properties, and some have excellent fuel economy - but you can’t get all 3 in the same tire. It’s important to decide what your priorities are.

But tires don’t affect the sensors and such, so your car dealer isn’t being straight up with you. You can buy tires at tire dealerships without worrying about the vehicle sensors.

At the same time, you need to have a clear picture of what you need.

Go to the tire store of your choosing. Mention your tire sensors to the mechanic and he will know what to do – he has seen plenty of them already.

ALL new cars have these sensors…Required since 05…They are tire pressure monitors. All tire dealers know how to deal with them. They are NOT that difficult.

Tires for a hybrid are designed for low rolling resistance. The dealer sells these tires, but so do regular tire shops. Your car might require a higher priced tire of a special type but you can get a price from a tire shop to compare. If the dealer is charging a decent price buy from the dealer, but if the tire shop has a better price buy from the tire shop. The sensor argument is moot, tire shops know how to deal with the sensors.

Your dealership is trying to use fear to make a sale. I hate it when they do that.

As Mike said, these sensors have been around for years, and all tire shops and other repait shops that sell tires change tires countless times every day on cars with them. It isn’t rocket science.

That’s sad. When you spend that much for a car, dealers should want their repeat customers to trust them. I have Toyota product with sensors. If they make statements like that too many times to me, it would cause me look elsewhere for the rest of my service. Fortunately, I have not caught them being anything but honest; expensive, but honest.

Expensive I can live with. It’s the dishonesty that gets me angry.

Don’t ever go to that dealer again. Look in the mirror - that’s the face they are stepping on. You deserve much better than that. As Capri Racer said, you need to consider what you want in a tire. Many hybrid cars have low rolling resistance tires to help increase gas mileage. Yours are probably that type. When you have time, read the brand, model, and size off one tire. Then go on line and see what is available. Here’s what this tire seller calls Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). This is what Toyota would provide for your car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2009&autoModel=Camry&autoModClar=Hybrid&width=215/&ratio=60&diameter=16&sortCode=45400&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&tab=OE&filterType=oe

You should also consider tire life, dry handling, wet handling, and road noise. There are many other things to consider, but I’m guessing these are most important to you .