Tire & Wheel Service Contracts

Not only do I agree with keith about avoiding a service contract but any tires that were going to set me back 500 bucks a pop will be history. Forever.

I’d mount some wood spoke rims from a Conestoga wagon, run a set of forklift wheels or a set of 155/13s, or hobble on crutches before I’d give up 2 grand on a set of tires.
On a Bugatti Veyron 2 grand may be acceptable… :slight_smile:

Most regulars on this forum have no use for any type of mechanical insurance, however I don’t believe this applies to everyone.

Road hazards differ by location. If you live in West-Undershirt the worst you may hit is a jack rabbit, in major cities there is junk in the road. I have had to dodge scrap pieces of wood on the highway (2"x4"). If you hit something like this with a 35 or 40 series tire you will likely have a bent wheel, they are not forgiving.

Some of the worst driver seek comfort in driving in the left lane and it’s only a matter of time until they bump the center median. Again 35 series tires are not forgiving. I have seen them arrive on a flat bed wrecker.

Most of the damage tires and wheels that I replace are covered by a tire warranty that was sold by the car dealers sales department. If a tire has a nail within an inch of the sidewall, the tire is considered unrepairable and gets replaced, no prorate. I have no idea what the price is, I am surprised by the prices that are stated on this forum.

Use your own judgment. You know what the tire cost, the wheels are just as expensive.
Read the policy, know what is covered.

I have 150 bent wheels in my back yard, just waiting for aluminum prices to go up.

The Tire Rack does not offer road hazard coverage for tires $400 and over.

I live in southern CA where the roads are generally excellent. But they can get crappy during the rains, and who can see potholes when they are full of water??

What are the thoughts on replacing my expensive tires with Michelin super sports or Continental extreme sport DWS conventional tires when time requires, and buy an extra rim for pennies on the dollar as a spare?

Check the Costco web site, they have Bridgestone tires in that size for $410.
You sould wait until you need replacements, you’ll be surprised how fast performance tires wear out.

Don’t worry Nevada, the price will go up soon. With the new CAFE requirement manufacturers will no doubt be using much more aluminum.