Tire wear, 2007 Lexus LS 460

What is the expected ‘mileage life’ of the original tires on such a car???

Mine were changed at about 13,500 miles!!!

Did you get the optional bigger rims? Low profile tires often have poor tread life. What size/make/model tire did you replace them with?

Not sure about the LS 460…but we replaced the tires on my wifes LS-350 at 33k miles.

What was the brand and model of the original tires?

Did you use the same inflation pressure recommended by Toyota?

How often did you check, and–if necessary–correct the pressure in those tires?

Were they rotated every 5k miles?

Was the wear on those tires completely even across the tread, or did it show more wear in some areas than in other areas?

Brand–1. Michelin tires. HX MXM4 235/50, ZR18 97W
Pressure–2. Yes.
Checking tire pressure–3. Frequently, pressure monior in car.
Tire rotation–4. Yes, at dealer.
Tire wear–5. Only on the inside groove. The zipcode 85375 dealer says that LS460ies alignmnent favors the inside groove of the tire, while the rest of the tire tread is OK.( I am NOT convinced)

Bigger rim–1. No
Tire profile–2. Not low profile.
Tire make/properties–3. Same as original, as recommended by dealer. Michelin HX MXM4 235/50, ZR18 97W

Thanks for your interest.
Was there an LS 350?

“Tire wear. Only on the inside groove”

If I am interpreting that correctly, you are telling us that the tread was worn out only on the area of the tread closest to the center of the car. If that is the case, then the car really needed a wheel alignment at the first sign of this wear pattern, in order to prevent further uneven wear.

Unless you have a 4 wheel alignment done soon, your new tires are also going to wear out unusually early as a result of uneven tire wear!

Also–do not rely on the onboard tire pressure monitor. That device only warns of gross changes in pressure. If you want to keep your tire wear, handling, and road-holding at an optimum, you should be checking the tire pressure with a good-quality hand-held tire gauge at least once a month, more often when temperatures drop in the fall and winter.

Additionally, that model Michelin tire has a UTQG wear rating of only “300”. With a wear rating that low, long tread life was never going to be likely, although your experience of only 13,500 miles before replacement represented unusually poor tread wear.

Before I read the inside groove note, I would have simply written that it depends on how you drive your car. I wear out tires pretty fast, but my brakes last a long time.

If your tires wear out on one side, you have a problem with your vehicle.

Nope. There was an ES, GS, and IS 350 though.

You are quite right. At 8500 miles I pointed out to my 85375 zipcode Lexus dealer that the groove as you say ‘…closest to the center of the car’ was showing signs of un-even wear when compared with the rest of the grooves, their response was that this was EXPECTED. My protest and request for a 4-wheel alignment did NOT receive any attention. At 11,000 miles I convinced them of the need for alignment, and again this was done when the tires were replaced, at 13,500 miles. For your information after repeating my ‘comments’ about their in-attention to alignment, THEY PAID for the new tires.
Checking tire pressure is quite routine. I always use a digital gauge. You may also know that the LS460 has a digital-readout-measure of the pressure of the operational tires and the spare. Thanks for the information about the UTQG wear rating. Will look out for a better wearing tire in the future.

You are quite right. At 8500 miles I pointed out to my 85375 zipcode Lexus dealer that the groove on the inside of the tire was showing signs of un-even wear when compared with the rest of the grooves on the same tire, their response was that this was EXPECTED. My protest and request for a 4-wheel alignment did NOT receive any attention. At 11,000 miles I convinced them of the need for alignment, and again this was done when the tires were replaced, at 13,500 miles. For your information after repeating my ‘comments’ about their in-attention to alignment, THEY PAID for the new tires.

Sorry…it was the ES 350…typo.