Does the Lexus IS eat tires more than normal?

Hello everyone.

So I have a 2018 Lexus IS 300 AWD fsport and I’ve noticed that it eats tires more aggressively than normal, even with proper alignment and below average commute mileage.

I bought the car used with approximately 30,000 miles on it and the dealer said the front tires were new and the back 7/32. This was in November of 2020.

I replaced 3 tires last year and one this year ( last week ) and I was told the tires that were replaced last year have about 6/32 tread left.

I don’t do drifting. I don’t speed. I don’t do burnouts. And I average 9,000 miles a year.

The tires are all season tires and brand continental.

I went through my papers history to obtain these info about the car so that I can get a more reliable and accurate answer to my question.

Thank you very much in advance.

1st of all you bought a sports car and you will be replacing tires a lot, if you want to play you have to pay…

Now AWD in general wear tires faster, you should have staggered tires so you can not rotate them, your vehicle probably runs a lot of positive caster which will cause more edge wear as the tires lay over more while turning sharp, so more outer edge wear, rears run a more negative camber to wear the inner tire edge, The low UTQG tread wear… So AWD + UTQG + can’t rotate + more aggressive alignment = faster tread wear… Plus you may be starting out with lower then normal tread depth due to the nature of the tires… The dealer will most likely install the OEM tire and some are only running a UTQG 140-180 but they do make then higher… Now remember when they designed the suspension on your they did it with a certain designed speed rating so it is never a good idea to drop more than one speed rating… You will just need to shop around for a compatible tire that meets the vehicle needs with a higher UTQG but keep the speed rating in mind…
Plus are yours run flats or do you have a spare, run flats also wear faster…

BTW the tires for the Fisker Karma EC EVer GY’s only had 7/32 of tread brand new… lol

3 Likes

Agree with @davesmopar , all of it.

Perfomance car with performance tires… 25 to 35K tire would be about what you’ll get.

2 Likes

For future reference, the better tires go on the back, so you should have switched the original tires around. Furthermore, you want matching tires on each axle at a minimum (but preferably all the way around), so you should have replaced all four tires last year, not just three.

I think he has different sizes front/rear.

That is correct . My wheels are staggered. Different front and rear tires.

Had a older corp lawyer that just putted (most of the time) around with a ZOS and his OEM Good Years only got 6K miles on his tires, we put some Bridgestone’s that handled better and he went to about 11K miles on them, about $2500 for a set of tires… :rofl:

Some Lexus IS models came with an advisory label on the windshield.

2 Likes

Wow. Very interesting. I don’t have the sticker on my car, otherwise I wouldn’t have bought the car.

Seems like the dealer removed the sticker.

When I was working 60-70 hour weeks years ago my wife was looking for a vehicle, I made her call me with the tire size so I could check price and availability before even test driving it… lol

1 Like

More likely it was removed by the first (or second??) person who owned it before you bought it.

What is the UTQG wear rating number on the sidewall of your tires? The number can range from… I think… around 200, up to 700 or 800, with the higher numbers equating to much longer tread life. Since your car is a performance-oriented vehicle, I’m going to guess that the tires are at the lower end of that wear rating range.

Good advice. I never thought about this. In fact, I’m not a car guy. I bought the IS because it fits comfortably for my needs from a medical standpoint.

But the tires needing to replace every two years is not something I appreciate about the car.

That’s funny. When my wife was looking for a car a few years ago, I told her to buy whatever she liked and to leave me out of it!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Yep, the stock P Zeros on my Mustang made it all of 12k miles, The replacement Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s went another 18k miles. Then I bought a set of squared wheels and another set of Pilot Sports and they went about 30k miles (probably could’ve gotten another ~3k out of them, but I got a good deal on a set of Pilot Sport A/S 4’s, and went with it.

1 Like

My previous Toyota Camry SE ( 2012 model ) was very good. A set of tires would last me 60k to 65k miles.

1 Like

225/40/r18 ( front )
255/35/r18 ( Rear )

Number: 560

VDC was asking about the UTQG ( Uniform Tire Quality Grade ) . That is a 3 diget number on the tire sidewall just after the word Tread. 200 is low and 500 is high . You can’t expect long life out of 200 rated tire .

Thanks for the instruction. Number is: 560

Is there anyway you can take a picture of your tire place card in the door jam or door close to the latch??? or what the load range and speed rating is for your vehicle?? should be something like P225/40r18 94Y or similar…

560 is very high for a UHP tire like yours… And can you tell what they are on your tires also??