Tire warranty

I just don’t look at tread wear warranties, I look at tread wear ratings, but primary rating I look at is wet traction performance.

1 Like

I think that you might have been thinking of Road Hazard Warranties.
Those are essentially a thing of the past, unless you pay extra for them at the time of purchase.
It is worth noting that Costco still includes a Road Hazard Warranty in the purchase price of their tires.

1 Like

I know, due to road conditions and construction where I live, I do elect the road hazard.

1 Like

For me, the problem with most or all tread warranties is that you have to take the tread to 2/32 before they’ll replace the tire. I never go that low for safety reasons, especially in winter.

2 Likes

Interesting, the store manager said similar when I went back today for the annual state inspection. I’d not drive that much to reach that low tread level, I said to him safety first.

I think there’s different versions of that same tire. Depends on what type of vehicle you use it on. I bought 4 Defenders for my own truck a couple years ago, called Defender L/T, for light-truck. Maybe its called LTX, forget. Anyway, very tough looking tire and definitely a thick tread. Haven’t had any problems so far .

1 Like

Both sets of Defenders are car tires, that’s what came factory installed on the little Toyota pickup. 205/70R14 on the pickup and 185/65R15 on the Nissan. Sidewall design is a bit different between the two. They’ll probably last a long time on the lightweight Versa.

2 Likes

Good point. The truck version of the Defender might be too big to properly fit your pickup’s wheel-well.

1 Like

The Michelin Premier is an odd tire, “wet traction technology”, wider voids in the tread but shallower tread. New tread depth is 8.5/32", most other tires have 9.5/32" or 10/32". After 20,000 miles they look well worn.

The Michelin site shows only 13 tire sizes available, perhaps they are being phased out.

1 Like

Had a Michelin go bad once on warranty and they gave me 50% off based on my original purchase price, which was on a special sale. Plus prices had gone up in the meantime, so the replacement cost about as much as my original cost.

The thing you have to consider now is if “one” tire goes bad, you are looking at either two or four depending on whether FWD or AWD, the mileage on the tire, and of course the manufacturer’s recommendation. But on mine if I had 5000 miles on them, I’d have to buy 4 regardless of any warranty.