Tire rotation every 6k miles. Excessive?

My new 2015 Subaru Forester calls for tire rotation every 6000 miles, which seems excessive to me.

Comments

Traditionally, Subaru has called for tire rotation every 7,500 miles, so that 6,000 mile interval is new to me. That being said, Toyota calls for tire rotation on many of their cars every 5,000 miles, so a 6k mile interval doesn’t seem that extreme to me.

Just bear in mind that, because of the AWD system, it is necessary to rotate the tires on a consistent basis, so whether you choose a 6k or a 7.5k, or even a 10k mile interval, you will need to stick with that interval in order to keep the tread on all 4 tires w/in the necessary tolerances for the AWD system.

Also bear in mind that the maintenance schedule is something that you must adhere to if you want to keep your warranty in force. If you decide to use a tire rotation schedule longer than what the mfr specifies, and you later wind up with damage to the AWD system, Subaru will be w/in their rights to deny warranty coverage for that damage.

I would suggest that you adhere to the mfr’s maintenance schedule.

+1

AWD requires even tire wear to avoid over stressing the drivetrain. If you rotate the tires at each oil change, you get bot items done at the same time. And check your air filters (engine and cabin) at the same time. You probably won’t need to replace the air filters until the 3rd or 4th oil change, but it never hurts to check. If you have to change the air filters at the first oil change because they are too dirty, you should switch to the severe oil change regimen.

6K rotation is not at all excessive. In fact it is about right for nearly any car or truck. Change the oil at the same time. It is on a lift for an oil change, have the rotation done at the same time. If it is over a service pit, you are likely at Iffy Boob (or similar quickie oil change place), stop that. You are asking for problems.

If you oil change earlier, say 5000 miles, do it then. It ain’t rocket surgery, don’t over think it.

AWD vehicles cost more to buy and more to operate that’s all there is too it…They are a profit center for the automotive industry. Very few people have a need for 4WD, AWD vehicles as 98% of the time they are driving on clear, dry roads where AWD provides no benefit…

OK, thanks.

To clear up one point, Subaru changed the oil change interval from 7.5k to 6k with the 2015 model.

Bill

It seems subaru takes the toyota approach to oil changes and tire rotation . . . do them both at the same time, for the life of the vehicle

Easy to remember

It’s the way I’ve always done it

“Subaru changed the oil change interval from 7.5k to 6k with the 2015 model.”

That is a much more sane approach, actually.
And, this way you can easily remember to have the tires rotated when you do an oil change.

I have never believed in that 7.5k recommendation, and I usually change my oil at ~4k miles, due to my typical driving patterns. Those who go 7.5k between changes are putting themselves in danger of building up oil sludge due to the extended change interval–unless they do exclusively highway driving.

Subarus are fantastic cars. I would rather drive my Forester in bad weather (snow and ice / rain) than my Toyota Tacoma 4X4. It handles like a sports car with UHP tires.
They don’t cost any more to buy or operate, Caddyman. My Forester gets good (about 26 mpg, right now w/ over 190K miles) mileage and other costs are similar to FWD vehicles.
Rotate the tires on a consistent basis and everything will be fine.

“Subarus are fantastic cars.”

Like many other cars, they’re fantastic if you get a good one, and “hell on wheels” if you get a bad one.

2002 Sienna here. Since Yokohama voids the warranty on my tires the minute I cross the Rio Grande, I don’t rotate tires any more. Last time I bought new tires, they told me the wear was so even they didn’t even recommend checking alignment.

Do not try this without adult supervision, heh, heh.

I do every couple years loosen the wheel bolts and give them a shot of WD-40.

I do not at all recommend this for anyone else. I made the decision for myself, and any negative results I will pay for.

Follow the warranty requirements for either car or tires or pay yourself without whining if you called it wrong.

I used to wipe out, that is, destroy, a tire a year here. Since they paved the street to my driveway, no more nails or cuts.

Conservatively driven AWD cars are easier on tires. 6k miles is reasonable. Fwd cars are harder on the tires on front. In fwd cars that I had, if you were very aggressive, even 2500 miles was too long.