Tire purchase 215/55/17

The proper term is walmartians.

2 Likes

And like stupid people they vote and breed. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :laughing:

I’ve learned to stay away from name brand Walmart tires. I heard at one point (never had it verified, though,) that Walmart purchased cheaper versions of the name brand tires. My Walmart bought Goodyears that I put on my churches van were absolute garbage. I had 3 come apart (belt separation,) within 2 years of purchase, and while Walmart did warranty them, it got to the point that the safety of the cargo was worth the expense to go elsewhere for a whole new set.

I do not recommend Walmart for tires.

1 Like

Agree my wife had three sets of wally world tires I don’t remember what brands they were but the first set wore out way to fast the second set had belt separation problems the third set after about a year got squirrlley on wet roads.

1 Like

While these are expected to be subjective there are over 200 reviewers - no details on if all of them commented on noise or not. If all of them commented, 260 reviewers makes it very significant!

Update:
260 reviews takes it far away from subjective

260 out of the thousands of tires sold each year is not significant .

Sciconf might mean 260 reviewers on that one brand of tire.

Sentury comes to 15cents/100miles estimate by the CR.

Yes indeed

Its too hard to knock down Sentury:

• made it on CR
  • Price

Only negative is noise. I was once living next to a tram line. I heard the noise for a few days then it didn’t bother me.

Well at this stage I need to toss a coin!

As a former Wally World employee, that is how we referred to Walmart.

1 Like

I see Sentury on CR as below average on snow traction.

I am in Calif so snow is not an issue

Huh?
I didn’t make any comments–pro or con–regarding those tires, so I’m not sure why you replied to me.

I will not give you the exact science here, but what made me to question these “ratings” years back was that I bought some set of tires… mid-range and from the “name brand” let’s say… and the rating were sky high, but I had really bad experience trying to balance these, it was like half the pound of lead on two of the wheels and performance was “not impressive” to say the least… yet it was like 100+ ratings on it

when I examined these, a lot of ratings were not even relevant, like “I’ve just got this tire and I think it looks great!” or so, so I started to question myself “is it more about how buyers feel about it or is it objective”

TR has “test results” on some of the popular tires and these are produced in more or less repeatable setup and made to be at least somehow more informative

just for laughs, try reviewing “user reviews” against 4-5 tires from one of such side-by-side objective tests on TR and you may be surprised

Some thoughts on consumer tire reviews:

People tend to complain more often than they praise. So comparing similar tires is a must to get a sense of how good a tire is.

People tend to not pay attention to the exact name. To most people a Goodstone Eagle ST is the same as a Goodstone Eagle LX. Sometimes they even mangle the brand!

Some people just hate certain brands - and love others.

Most people don’t distinguish between an OE tire (one that comes on a new car) from an aftermarket tire. OE tires are built to the vehicle manufacturer’s specs. They are completely different than the tires that are sold at the retail level (except for those that actually are OE tires downstreamed into the retail market!)

So on the whole, one has to be careful when they read ratings done by consumers.

3 Likes

Yeah, I put a lot more weight on the tire tests that Tire Rack and CR conduct than consumer reviews.

5 Likes

+1
If my friend–who drives like the proverbial little old lady–was to tell me that his tires have excellent handling/road-holding,
I would ignore his comments. But, if he was posting his comment anonymously online, nobody would know that he drives at 25 mph most of the time, and that he maxes-out at ~45 mph on an expressway. Ergo, the reader of an anonymous tire rating has absolutely no idea of how the other person actually drives his/her car.

1 Like

Thanks @thegreendrag0n - I have to spend time to read TR for the future. But I have purchased my tire Falken Ziex ZE960 A/S

Advantages:

• Comfort (my partner wants to go so cal on I-5)
  • Noise (lower)
  • Max PSI, 51 whereas Spectrum can only do 44 PSI +> this might be important for an electric car as they tend to wear on edges - so as with others, I inflate 6psi higher.

Thanks everyone for your contribution and suggestions. It was hard partly because of Supply chain issues (covid). If the GT Radial was available, I would not have gone into this level of research. I have used both Falken and GT Radial on my Acura.

Yes when my Acura was the first car, I was getting Michelin - world has changed now (I have also moved away from AT&T and Verizon and using their MVNA plans for wireless).

And, America’s Tire is great company from Corporate to Retail. Almost all my tires are from them. Might have bought a pair of tires from Sears.

1 Like

Please tell us you are not inflating your tires to the Max Pressure . There is a plaque on the drivers door that says what the tire pressure should be ( 30 to 35 ) and stop putting an extra 6 lbs in them .

1 Like