Tire noise, soon won't be able to hear kids screaming in the back seat!

honda
tires
pilot

I recently (March 2009) bought a 2004 Honda Pilot from a Honda Dealer. About 2 months ago we started noticing noise from the rear tires. Took it to the dealer and their service guys said “tires are feathered”. Got struts and alignment checked and a new set of tires. It’s worse!! The noise occurs when driving straight and when turning to the right - noise stops if turn slightly to the left.

What’s the deal? I figure the noise got worse because of the tires, but why is it there in the first place?

This could be the wheel bearings. The front wheel bearings went bad on my 2000 Blazer were bad after I had 4 new tires put on it. For a few months, I assumed it was the new tires. The pitch and volume of the sound would change when the steering was turned off-center (i.e. changing lanes).

Ed B.

Have them change the rear differential fluid. these differentials have history of making noise when the diff fluid breaks down.

Tester

Thanks Ed. I’m going up to the dealership tomorrow. I’ll ask them to take a look.
Bob

Thanks. I’ll get them to check it.
Bob

I know that CR-Vs are very prone to rear differential problems resulting from the need to change the diff fluid. Are Pilots prone to this also?

When considering purchasing the vehicle…the problem did not come up in anything I read.