Tire load rating

Lots of bad information in this thread!

235/65R16C is a European designation. It’s much like the US’s LT designation. Both of these are designed for medium to heavy duty pickups and vans. Not supposed to be on a Chevy Equinox.

The “C” is not a Load Range C. The “C” is for “Commercial”, meaning a truck. C type tires don’t come in Load Ranges. They use Load Index, but it is common for folks to try to squeeze these kind of things into familiar patterns - hence the use “Load Range”.

Worse? Even Tire Rack gets this wrong.

Load Range E doesn’t mean 10 actual plies in the sidewall. LR E means it is capable of handling up to 80 psi and the load carrying capacity that you get when using 80 psi. The old way of saying this was 10 Ply Rating. People need to stop using that terminology as it is confusing.

The size that is supposed to be on a 2009 Chevy Equinox is 235/65R15 103T. This is the way Europeans designate passenger car sizes. In the US we use the letter “P” in front of the tire size.

Mixing these 2 types of tires is a bad idea. They are quite different and will adversely affect the vehicle handling - as in the vehicle will be prone to spin out during emergency maneuvers.

6 Likes

Says 2 poly, 2 steel, and 2 nylon. On tread
But only 2 poly on sidewall
I put on 2 other wheels with pass tires
I’ll dismount tires. Sell them. Keep wheels

1 Like

Yeah I remember those tires now, we had the Amazon fleet accounts (4-6) just at one shop and were replacing the junk worn out Transit OEM tires about every 10-11K miles, we put Transforce HT’s on them and they lasted way longer…

Thanks Carvell for posting the pics…

Yep, forgot about that…

Hello Capri, nice to see my mentor on here again:

There is - a little - more difference between Metric and P-Metric tires than the absence or presence of a “P”:

Cut / Pasted from tirepressure dot org:

A tire machine would be handy. But seldom used.