Tires for gas mileage

Question is, will load range E tires (10-ply) get better gas mileage than load range C (6-ply)? Everybody knows keeping tires properly inflated helps gas mileage. Well, I need to replace the tires on my Suburban. Yes, I do need an SUV, no I don’t put many miles on it, and NO my spousal unit will never let me buy another one so I have to keep this up.

Given the same tires…just different load ratings…then the C(6-ply) should yield better mileage…due to lighter weight.

No,

as Mike said, the lighter LR C tires will be better due to lower weight - BUT - the weight difference is so small you will not be able to detect it by measuring fuel economy.

And as you said:

What’s most important is inflation pressure! Why not use the Load Range E tires and overinflate a little? (BTW, didn’t your Suburban come with Load Range E? Probably best not to use anything less.)

Summer tires or all seasons have a lower rolling resistance than good winter tire, which should be taken off as soon as the snow disappears. Standard size tires for your vehicle have lower rolling resistance than those steam roller ones the kids like so much.

Keep the inflation to the figure on the door post or in the manual. You could even add 3 psi or so without being uncomfortable.

There are important variables to tires that affect rolling resistance and thus mileage far more than the load rating, probably the biggest being tread design.

And I have to ask…if you really do need an SUV should you be using other than the load rating recommended by the manufacturer?

And I have to ask…if you really do need an SUV should you be using other than the load rating recommended by the manufacturer?

C load rated tires are fine for this vehicle. The D or E load rating is when you want to haul or tow a lot. If the OP doesn’t town a 10,000lb trailer then they don’t really need the D or E rated tires.

Yeah, that’s the piece I’m wondering about, since he said he needs an SUV how is he using it? Does he need it to go to the town dump or to tow a 40 foot camper?

You could have a problem with your inflation plan. The wheels may not be rated for the pressure E-rated tires can handle.

I wouldn’t take the chance. Some of those tougher tires get about zero traction in wet or snowy conditions…