Timing chains vs belts

Do I have to change a timing chain in my 2006 nissan sentra at 60,000 miles

What does the owners manual say?

Tester

No. Timing chains normally last the life of the engine and do not require periodic replacement.

…but unfortunately the tensioner and guides don’t.

Timing chains are designed to last the life of the vehicle, so they generally don’t need changing unless a problem develops.

If the engine is an overhead camshaft V8 I would strongly disagree.
That long of a chain will stretch, causing the chain to slap against the tensioners breaking parts off. The broken tensioner part then rides the chain up and jams in the cam sprocket. This quickly ruins an engine.

Chain stretch can be measured to see if it falls into specs. tensioners should be replaced as routine maintenence according to factory specs.

Well, in this case I would also agree. When I think of a timing chain, I first tend to think of the sort found on the Chevy 350, or the 2.2L inline-4…very compact chains.

If chain/tensioner service is specified depending on the application, then by all means it should be done. An OHC V8 isn’t the first thing to come to mind. :slight_smile:

True, but in most cases it will start getting noisy first. (Hint to OP: If you chain starts making noise, replace it.

If the engine is an overhead camshaft V8 I would strongly disagree.
That long of a chain will stretch, causing the chain to slap against the tensioners breaking parts off. The broken tensioner part then rides the chain up and jams in the cam sprocket. This quickly ruins an engine.

The designers don’t have to use ONE LONG CHAIN. They can use two or four shorter chains. All depends on how it’s designed. I replaced a chain on a 73 Isuzu 4 cylinder with a OHC engine. It had two short chains as opposed to one long chain.