Timing Chain versus timing belt

Do the 3.4L V-6 in the 2000 Impala and the 3.5L V-6 in the 2004 Malibu have timing chains or belts?

Thanks

Some one help the guy ! If you have the manuals, which requires a change and which does not ? Otherwise I don’t have a clue.
But have a nice day.

Our 2003 and 2005 Malibus with 3.5 liter V6 engines definitely did not have timing belts. I am pretty sure that they had silent chains and not gear drives. Our 08 GM car with an OHC V6 has a roller chain drive for the cam as does our 09 with a 2.2 liter OHC 4. GM makes almost no engines with timing belts; never did use them much. The only other ones that I know of were the Chevrolet Vega and possibly Geos had belts. I’d suspect an Aveo of having one.

Tricky Dick 69, I Went To The Gates Timing Belts Web Site And They Don’t List Belts For Either Chevy. They Must Have Chains, Not Belts.
CSA

Both of these engines have timing chains.

They are both pushrod engines, and use timing chains.

As Mc-P said, both these engines use 1960’s engine technology and their Morse timing chains do not require service or replacement. To their credit, GM has upgraded these dated designs so they still get the job done without multiple valves and overhead cams. The Cadillac CTS is a stunning example of this, where the old and the new come together very sweetly indeed…

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! I’m very happy, indeed, to hear that these two engines use timing chain technology rather than those horrible timing belts that have to be changed at 100K miles!!! The Impala has over 106K miles and the Malibu is getting there as well!! Soooo, I don’t have to worry about that maintenance!!!

Caddy CTS-V (8 cylinder) uses the ohv engine with silent (Morse) chain, the old proven and reliable technology. Current Caddy CTS with V6 engines have OHC with roller chain cam drive, the newer, proven and reliable technology. I don’t know how some oriental car makers can justify using a rubber belt cam drive in their luxury cars.