Timing chain replacement cost - hrs labor & parts (2008 Nissan Quest)

Thanks for pointing that out, I’m sure I’ll be told the same thing here in NC!

Not that it really matters but I can’t seem to understand what is going on here. You have a friend who is a mechanic so why are you not following his advice .
I may have missed why you need a timing chain and why are you worrying about a compression test or these other things .

The job is really difficult in a minivan with traverse mounted engine with either intensely difficult access to timing chain or engine removal required to get at it.

If this repair is above $1400 I would really look close and evaluate the entire van this old before sinking money you’ll never get back.

1 Like

Standard shop labor rate in my area (South Jersey) is $104 per hour.

1 Like

Same here. Why?

I don’t know if Nissan is the same, but on the GM minivans 20 years ago, access to the rear plugs could be gained by removing the engine mounts in the radiator mount and rotating the engine forward, then removing components above the engine. Not particularly easy, but easier than dropping the engine.

1 Like

Easier alternative to a compression test is a vacuum gauge. But that also leads to a question I asked earlier as have others. Why does it need a chain? Rattling? Broken and engine DOA? Either would negate the use of a compression tester or vacuum gauge.

If the chain broke that could be a sign of other issues down a bit deeper.

1 Like

A high percentage of overhead cam v-engines nowadays have 3 timing chains

One chain from the crank to the “jack shaft”

Then one chain from the jack shaft to each overhead cam . . . or set of cams, in the case of dohc heads

Comes out to 3 chains

This has been going on for a few years by now

2 Likes

You mean that two mechanics concluded that I need the timing chain replaced, is that the part you are not clear on? :slight_smile: Anyway, if I omitted mentioning, van ran fine aside from rattling that was pointed out to me, and I was told that the chain is stretched, but thankfully additional damage to the engine was ruled out, tx.

Hi, thanks, could of been more clear - yes Rattling including at idle, but van ran and drove fine aside from that, chain “stretched” was mentioned, so to answer more specifically, fortunately timing chain not broken and engine not DOA! Tx

Thanks, that’s almost identical to what they’re asking here in NC.

Oh, and as far as how Many hours such a repair should take, what’s a reasonable range for that? Thanks!

It could take an entire day or more . It all depends on the shop and what problems they run into . Plus they might not even start on it the day you drop it off. The repair facility can give you an estimate of when they will have it done. You should be more concerned about the repair quality and warranty then the repair time.

My Isuzu 4-Cylinder pickup had 2 chains. One from crank to a middle gear. It didn’t drive anything. Then a chain from the middle gear to the cam gear.