Timing chain replacement cost - hrs labor & parts (2008 Nissan Quest)

Hello, just wondering about the approximate reasonable price Range to get the timing chain replaced on my 2008 Nissan Quest (around 135K miles on it), hours labor & cost of parts, both local quotes I got so far were so close together (makes you wonder) and so high compared to most Google research and another quote, that I would appreciate some independent input on this. Tx! (Other than that I was told by a mechanic I trust that the car is otherwise in good shape and “well preserved”.)

OK , Sam . We don’t know where you are or what kind of facilities you have contacted . Internet prices are just a guide and not to be taken as an actual cost . You have a mechanic you trust so why would you even consider an unknown shop just to save what , 100 to 200 dollars on a job like this.

I’ll do it for $10,000 + tax

Then get a 3rd quote.

That’s who I would have do it then.

Sure, I’m in NC, and my mechanic friend is not doing major engine work but has tons of prior experience.

I understand that internet prices are a guide and not an actual cost, but how much would you like me to pay over ALL internet estimates I’ve seen so far, one of the estimates is 2x anything I’ve seen online, LOL? (And we are Not talking about a couple of hundred $ difference!)

More to the point, how much is a reasonable charge per Hour for a job like that, let’s say in your area, if you’re not familiar with NC? Tx!

Oh, well, if you give Me $10K, I’ll give you the car, and you can do whatever you want with it, lol!

1 Like

And what good would that do you? The shops in your area are not going match a lower price hourly charge anyway. Just decide on a shop that you feel good about and will offer a decent warranty on parts and labor.

No worries about “what good it would do”, maybe I’m just Curious about other parts of the country, is that ok with you, lol? :slight_smile: Oh and is the number of hours required also totally different where you are, because maybe knowing that could be helpful, you think?

Does your mechanic friend have any suggestions on who to go to in your area?

The place he trusts most is in a nearby town and usually has a “backlog”, but yeah I may just go with that if nothing nearby check out. Tx

Why does it even need a timing chain at 135k miles? Timing chain failure in most cases is caused by lack of oil changes or running the motor oil level low. And the timing chain is not the only thing to suffer inside an engine due to irregular oil changes or low oil levels.

Might consider a compression test and/or an oil pressure test before spending money on a chain. Last thing you need is to have a new chain installed and then discover the engine is half worn out. Or more than half.

Not trying to be a downer here but 135k is a bit low for failure without some outside influences on it.

6 Likes

Thanks, a Very good point, will definitely pay for a compression test and/or an oil pressure test before anything else! Will either test do, or is one more useful than the other? Tx! (Or would doing both be even better?) Tx

Nissan, like a lot of other manufacturers is using a metal timing chain with cheesy plastic guides. I think it is the plastic guides that usually cause failure but you certainly would not leave the old chain in place even if it looked ok after you did all the work to get to it.

If you want a price quote , call the nearest Nissan dealer.

1 Like

Thanks, will email our Nissan dealership for their best quote on this.

Sounds like money is no object, expect to pay about $500 for a compression test, spark plugs are not easily accessible on front wheel drive V-6 engines. Be aware that the PCM monitors cylinder performance and will alert you long before you can detect a cylinder compression issue while driving.

Replacing timing chains on this vehicle is a big job. There is a service bulletin to address a timing chain noise from the secondary timing chains (and guides), the repair pays 4.4 hour of warranty time, expect to pay 7 hours retail time.

Small shops are going to want to replace all three chains, not just the secondary chains. The labor to replace the chains and guides is 16.8 hours with engine removal. With the right equipment the chains can be replace with the engine in vehicle, 8.5 hours. Chains, guides and gaskets will cost at lest $400.

3 Likes

Wow, three timing chains? This makes the previous generation Nissan Quest with a rubber timing belt seem like a piece of cake by comparison!

1 Like

Thanks, very helpful info! Now I’m wondering - if the compression test costs around $500, would an oil pressure test be much cheaper by any chance? Tx!

I have never paid anywhere near $500 to have a compression test done on any vehicle, nor heard of anyone charging that, or paying anywhere near that. I would expect to pay, and have paid, around $150-$200 to have a compression test and leak-down test done. Unless you are using a shop with a labor rate of $450 an hour, this should not cost anywhere near $500. This is an all-labor procedure, i.e. no parts or materials are being used.

2 Likes

As in Toyota switching from metal guides (and two row chain) in the 20R engine to a single row chain and plastic guides in the 22R engine. Don’t know why they did that.

1 Like

I think it would be foolish not to replace the spark plugs if you’re going through all the labor to access them.

It must be a bear to get to a few of them. I have replaced plugs that I couldn’t reach by hand. Imagine feeding a compression gauge in there. It’s like doing that difficult plug 4x; old plug out, gauge in, guage out, new plug in. No thanks, I’d pay for that…

2 Likes

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/auto-repair-labor-rates-explained

1 Like