2010 Buick LaCrosse - Timing Chain Replacement?

I was just informed my Buick Lacrosse 2010 CXL needs new timing chains. Given it is older, but it only has 80,000 miles on it. When I asked the mechanic why they would go, he said time. So I am wondering if I really need my timing chains replaced. I did have a check engine light and they said that was the reason it was on. They also quoted me $2900 which seems significantly more expensive than I am seeing online.
Thank you

So what was your question?

I am told my buick lacrosse needs timing chains and cost is 2900. It has 80k on it. Does it seem reasonable they would go that soon and is the price typical as well.

Thanks russ

If your mechanic, who has seen, heard and red the code that it needs chains says so, who am I to argue? Yes, it is early for any car to need timing chains at only 80K. Even on one of these engines.

$2900, well, we don’t know where you live or if your mechanic is a dealer or independent. Labor rates vary quite a bit depending on where you live. Seems high to me but I live in a relatively low cost area of the country. Head to this link and type in your particulars and see if this is high:

You might want to call around your area and ask other shops what timing chain replacement costs would be. It is always good to get a second opinion on a job this big. And it IS a big job, in a tight space. So tight, this may require the engine be removed, which, of course, would increase the cost.

Were there any symptoms or did the mechanic (when having the car looked at for something else) just say that you needed new timing chains?

Listen to your mechanic.

It would appear GM decided to make these timing chains from recycled Campbells soup cans. So they stretch at low miles.

Just look on the internet!

Tester

Does this have that 3.6 V6? I’ve heard they are notoriously hard on oil and timing chains.