Timing chain

I brought my 97 nissan hardbody pickup into the shop because of rattling. They said that my timing chain needed to be replaced. The labor would be close to $1000. Is this right?

A bit pricey I think. But, the entire front of the engine has to be disassembled to reach it. And, some designs are harder than others.

Are you making the mistake of taking it to the Nissan dealer? If you are, you’re paying for one, or two, added layers of bureaucracy.

better then having it towed back to the indepedent,3 times.

not sure if you would really need to replace the timing chain; DEFINITELY get the tensioners and guides replaced!!!

I had a 96 nissan and the tensioner or guide failed and the engine was destroyed(interference type engine)

Get the work done asap!!!

Timing chain or Belt???

If it’s a chain then $1000 is a little high…but not too high. This is mainly labor. There’s a lot involved…including dropping the oil pan. If it’s a belt then this is very very pricey. As others have said…shop around.

How are they determining that you need a new timing chain??? Noise??? Did it slip.

not sure if you would really need to replace the timing chain; DEFINITELY get the tensioners and guides replaced!!!

The biggest cost in replacing a chain is labor. It makes no sense to pay for several hours in labor charges and NOT replace the chain. As long as the mechanic is in there he might as well replace it.

That sounds right to me if not too low. I did this on my 95 4 cylinder and it was a pain if yours is a 4X4 then the front differential has to come out along with the radiator and all of the engine accessories have to come off. if you have it done make sure to replace all the guides, tensioner, chain, and seals.