Timing Belt

I look at the manual of my 2004 Honda

CRV to check on how many miles before

the Timing Belt should be replace, but I

could not find it.Anybody has an idea?

It might be because it has a timing chain.

In case you thought hellokit’s answer was unclear, your car has a timing chain, which does not need to be replaced at a specific interval.

Barry,Thanks for the reply but timing chain & timing belt are not the same.
Mostly American cars has timing chain & has to be oiled & not replace unless
necesesary The japanese cars has timing belts that need to be replace as
part of maintenance.Before it was around 65,000 on my 1992 honda.But in the
2004 CRV.is where I could not find how many miles before it should be replace.
Thanks

Seponga…Re-Read Barry’s post.

He obviously knows the difference between a timing belt and timing chain. And he is correct that your car does NOT have a belt. It has a timing chain.

Not all Japanese cars use belts. I’d say about maybe as high as 60% use belts…the rest use chains.

Seponga–If you believe that you are more knowledgeable than the people on this board–such as Barry–perhaps you don’t need to ask this question.

Incidentally, Barry is correct, and your reading comprehension needs improvement.

VCD-I never implied that I am more knowledgeable than any of the board, that’s why
Iam asking questions & based also from imfo that I am getting. You think I will post
a question if I know? I even called Honda for this & they did not give me specific.
That is not very nice of your comments. Anyway I thank everyone including you
for time & information. It’s been helpful.

VCD-I never implied that I am more knowledgeable than any of the board

Yes you did. Barry told you that your CRV didn’t have a timing belt. And you told him that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Re-Read your own post.

I even called Honda for this & they did not give me specific.

I take it English is NOT your native language??

Time out!

Seponga, I can testify that Kit, VDC, Mike amd myself all know the difference between a timing chain and a timing belt. They’ve given you good advice, you have a chain and can drive forever without servicing it.

Oh, and chains do not need to be oiled as I understood you to believe in your post, whether they be foreign or domestic. Their lubrication needs are autmatically handled by the engine.

VCD- Maybe it is you who have a problem reading VCD. Where is the word that I
Told him that he doesnt’ know what he’s talking about? I am only telling him what
other info I got.Mike is a real gentlemen & gave me the right Web-site that answer
my question & clearly everyone of you is right. What more do you want? And your
racist remark that English is not my native language is not again very nice. You
got to much testostorone in you. Why dont’ you join the marines. You could be
useful or join the gang in my Oakland neighborhood Mr. genuis…

The same mountainbike speaks the truth. Timing belts MUST remain clean and dry. They are designed to be outside of the crankcase, outside the oil seals, and covered with a plastic cover for protection. Timing chains are designed to be within the crankcase, inside the sealed area, and are lubricated with motor oil. Chains do stretch over time, but generally outlast the engine. For overhead cam engines, like yours, they also have automatic adjusters to compensate for that stretch, and keep the chain tight. The last timing chain I replaced was on a Toyota Pick-up truck with 275,000 miles and a blown head gasket. The chain had not yet reached it’s stretch limits, but was 2 mm short of that maximum tolerance, so we replaced it anyways.

“What we’ve got here is… failure to communicate.”

“Some men you just can’t reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it… well, he gets it. I don’t like it any more than you men.”

Words spoken by the Captain in 1967’s Cool Hand Luke.

Well, Seponga, you have well proven my statement that your reading comprehension needs to be improved. As evidence of that, I present your own statement, “And your racist remark that English is not my native language is not again very nice”. In fact, I did not use those words.

If you will bother to re-read (more carefully this time) what Mike posted at 4:22 PM, you will see that it was Mike who theorized that English is not your native language. I do not know what language is your native language, and I will not speculate on that point. I will only state once again that your reading comprehension is poor–as evidenced by your continuing inability to understand what was said, and by whom it was said.

Where is the word that I
Told him that he doesnt’ know what he’s talking about?

Here Barry gives you very accurate information about your vehicle.

Barry - In case you thought hellokit’s answer was unclear, your car has a timing chain, which does not need to be replaced at a specific interval.

Here is where you challenge him about the accurate information he’s given you. Basically saying he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Barry,Thanks for the reply but timing chain & timing belt are not the same.
Mostly American cars has timing chain & has to be oiled & not replace unless
necesesary The japanese cars has timing belts that need to be replace as
part of maintenance.

It was I who asked if English was your second language. Your sentence fragments are like those spoken by someone who doesn’t have a good grasp of the English language. I was asking it because it might explain how you’ve mis-read what people are telling you. You’ve demonstrated that you have a problem reading and writing English.

Here are a couple examples

that’s why I am asking questions & based also from imfo that I am getting

I even called Honda for this & they did not give me specific.

You could be useful or join the gang in my Oakland neighborhood Mr. genuis…

Mike- I was given some wrong information & do really appreciate you Mike, Barry &
hello kit for the right information & the web site that you provided. I never mean
to question Barrys good advice. What I don’t understand is the criticism. I already
acknowledge that you guys are right.What is more to say? The issue is not the language, it is about the timing belt.I presume that you have been in this automobile professionally giving advice to novice like me & as professional like
you, You have to be patience & YOU WILL BE HIGHLY REGARDED LIKE THE 2 BROTHERS who
owns this site.

When I was young, my mother was instructing me. She said, “Son (that’s me), you can’t successfully argue with an idiot.” I said, “Ma (my mom), you don’t know what you are talking about!” She sighed, looked into the distance, and said to herself, “That proves my point!” I don’t have any idea of what she meant. Ma-a-a-ah!

Seponqa, in your defence, I don’t think you said that anyone didn’t know what he was talking about, but when you said “Barry,Thanks for the reply but timing chain & timing belt are not the same.” it sounded like you thot he didn’t know the difference. Anyway some of the guys on here OWN this program and one should never question them.

Little late on the response don’t you think??? Did it take you 4 months to think of a response…LOL.

Well, you saw it didn’t you??