Timing belt

I have a 1997 Honda Civic. The prior owners changed the timing belt at 60,000 miles. We got the car at 80,000 miles. Now it has 160,000 miles and we haven’t changed the timing belt yet. Is this necessary or not? We intend to have the car until it dies but hope that it will last us to over 200,000 miles. The major questions I have are:

1) Should we change the timing belt

2) what other things need to be taken care of at this time point to make sure that this car lasts us to the 200,000 mile mark?

Thanks

Most recommendations are to replace the water pump, front camshaft seal and front crankshaft seal. Some say to change the belt adjuster too. Do the 60,000 mile maintenance.

Read your owner’s manual. Get up to date on everything needed. And yes, the belt should be changed at this mileage along with the water pump.

The correct maintenance would be to replace the timing belt and water pump every 100,000 miles, as well as changing the spark plugs. Also the fuel filter should be replaced every 100,000 miles. The timing belt is not something to be messed with. Also, if it’s an EX your valves should be adjusted. At 160,000 miles that Civic should be gone over with a fine toothed comb to check for a host of other wear items on the chassis. Putting off maintenance seems reasonable until your engine dies or a wheel falls off when you’re going around a turn. As for the lifespan of the car it should make it to 300,000 miles if you’ve been doing regular oil changes and driving it gently.

1. Yes

2. Your Owner’s Manual contains all the information that you need regarding maintenance. If you have never looked at the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule previously, this would be an excellent time to start–especially if you intend to keep this car.

1. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS. You are 60,000 miles overdue.

2. Buy the whole kit, which includes the timing belt tesnioner. Also change the water pump and the crank shaft seal. Thge seal is probably leaking oil, so you will save money by getting this done at the same time.

This car will make to 300,000 miles if you start caring for it properly. Don’t put this off another day.

I just double checked the owner’s manual for my 98 Civic and the timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles.