Timing belt issues

I have pictures and videos of the work.(he sent me). He is not charging me for anything having to do with the timimg belt…he did a few other things.

If there’s two separate cam pulley’s the timing belt has to go 'round, vs just one, that can make the belt alignment process considerably more difficult. Or at least more fiddly & frustrating. You’d think though the mechanic would consult another mechanic who’s done it before for some advice, not just give up. There’s probably some fixture gadget used to make it easier to keep everything lined up as the belt it put on. Oh well, it takes all kinds I guess.

I wouldn’t trust him with tire repairs

Yeah, you’re right

The guy might pull the nail out, and then decide he can’t remount the tire, or properly patch it

:smirk_cat:

Is this so-called mechanic aware of the existence of belt tensioners and the importance of replacing them along with the timing belt?

I don’t think that I would even trust this guy to be able to change an air filter without screwing things up.

Just because the guy didn’t charge for the timing belt work and is now washing his hands of that doesn’t mean he’s off the hook, so to speak

I am assuming the engine was capable of starting before this doofus started working on the timing belt

And now it won’t even start

So the bottom line seems to be it’s now not starting BECAUSE he touched it

It’s amazing he’s just walking away from the repair

Surely he’s aware OP will probably bad-mouth this shop to friends, relatives, neighbors, etc.

And rightfully so, from the sound of it

Well a third mechanic looked at it…timing was wayyyyy off…he got it timed perfectly BUT…has NO COMPRESSION…AHHHHHH I WANT TO SCREAM…

Perhaps it has no compression, because the first guy screwed up and bent some valves. Well, you already know he screwed up, he even admitted as much.

Valves often get bent, when you don’t get your marks lined up . . . and I think you KNOW by now the first guy did NOT get the marks lined up

I’d say you need to definitively find out the reason WHY the engine has no compression. That means a leakdown test, and perhaps peek inside the combustion chambers with a borescope. None of those procedures is usually a big deal

And if it’s due to damaged valves, then you literally need to go after the first guy, because he’s responsible. If it’s his fault, he needs to pay for the repairs. Have this 3rd mechanic do the repairs. Pay the man. Then go after the 1st guy, present him with the invoice, and tell him you expect to be reimbursed for his mistakes

2 Likes