Tiger's wreck

I own a Caddy. I saw damage on Tiger’s Caddy after wreck. No airbag deployment and no Onstar call. What is going on ? Should I wreck is this what I should expect ?

The car collided on the side rather than head-on; that could be the reason for the bags not going off. You can also legally disable air bags if you are very short; maybe he had this done.

Can’t comment on the Onstar not reporting.

I seriously doubt mechanical failure in such a new vehicle.

Hard to say if sale of that model will increase; sales of white Ford Broncos soared after the famous O J Simpson car chase in LA.

Looks like more than a slight impact to me. Of course the tree was after the hydrant, how did the hydrant look?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2009-11/50791796.jpg

Yep, it was a glancing collision and the hydrant probably slowed it down so by the time it hit the tree there wasn’t enough decelleration to trigger the air bags. At least if the utterly bizzare made-for-Chinese-TV CGI reenactment is to be believed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5FlC1MpkE&feature=player_embedded

Plus most of his injuries seemed to be wife related, and you can’t blame the Caddy for that.

The issue I see in this situation is that the bags are prohibited from deployment at speeds below 33mph. Myself I think that figure is way too high,lots of energy in a 32mph crash with a tree,I had never been told about this 33mph barrier too deployment.

Nearsighted golf cart drivers are about as dangerous as this crash looks. I saw some dramatic crashes at the golf course. I will never say that it’s almost impossible to tip a cart over. Once was enough.

One driver rolled right off the tee area into a three foot high electrical box and went two feet into thin air. There are no floor mats in a golf cart! It’s all driver error out there. Be careful both on and off the course, or the National Enquirer will be telling the truth after TV gets the news. You don’t want to reverse the natural order of events THAT bad.

It takes more than you think for the airbags to deploy. You have to hit something HARD, and you have to hit it head-on.

Tiger did neither of those things.

Don’t worry. If you are involved in a crash of sufficient speed and at the right angle your Caddy’s airbags will work as designed.

Tiger Woods was in a car accident? Why wasn’t this reported somewhere?

:o)

So some nincompoop who gets paid ten times what my house is worth just for hitting a little ball into a cup gets a minor fender bender and it’s all over the news. Am I the only one who doesn’t give a darn? Am I the only one to tell Tiger that if he wants sympathy, it’s in the dictionary between snot and syphilis?

We’re involved in 2 different wars, a decision about sending more troops into one of them, and a debate about a possible overhauling of our messed-up health care system, not to mention the financial state of the country and the poor job situation. My local news had Tiger Woods as its lead story! The same newscast also contained a story (with video) about some 80’s sitcom actress who came out of the closet and ended with a story (with video, of course) about 2 white squirrels. I have no idea who decides what stories to air! I was trying to hide from Tiger here in the Car Talk boards, but I guess there is no escape…

“We’re involved in 2 different wars, a decision about sending more troops into one of them, and a debate about a possible overhauling of our messed-up health care system, not to mention the financial state of the country and the poor job situation. My local news had Tiger Woods as its lead story! The same newscast also contained a story (with video) about some 80’s sitcom actress who came out of the closet and ended the with a story (with video, of course) about 2 white squirrels. I have no idea who decides what stories to air! I was trying to hide from Tiger here in the Car Talk boards, but I guess there is no escape…”

How much did Congress and the Administration pay Tiger to take the heat for a while?

Fortunately, as free thinking Americana, we choose what to read and watch. Who is worse, the organization that chooses to fill a consumer demand, or the consumers who create the demand?

If you don’t want to be exposed to superfluous news, change the channel, or better yet, turn off the boob tube and read your news online.

What you are doing is like blaming truck drivers for polluting and clogging up the roads, when you really should blame the people who create demand for the truck drivers’ services.

“Tiger’s wreck”?

Hmmm…Are you referring to the vehicle or his marriage?

Well he is known more for his short game. He never was much of a driver…

At least the poor soul will have a billion (minus damages to the car and marriage) to fall back on.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me those bags should have deployed either from the hydrant or the tree because the tire is cut, the hood is buckled, and it appears the front suspension has been pushed back quite a bit. That comes across as a pretty hard wallop to me.

It’s claimed that it takes a 33 MPH impact to set them off but a solid 20 MPH impact can make you a dead person pretty quickly.

It would also be interesting (but won’t happen) to see the damage on the sides and rear of that vehicle; along with the damage to Tiger and the inside of the house.
Wonder if that Escalade has already been hauled to the crusher… :slight_smile:

A 9 iron in the hands of an angry woman (who allegedly caught him on the phone an hour before the wreck) can be a pretty nasty weapon.

The pulp and gossip press has already renamed him “Cheetah” Woods, just to keep it in the feline family!

It’s an Escalade.
Nothing of value was lost int he crash, except for the fire hydrant.

Did the reenactment show his wife working him over with a golf club?? Was the trademark on the club visible? Might be worth an endorsement contract for her…

1. I have seen this a hundred times. Even though it appears the truck took a good whack the bags did not blow because of where the bag sensors are located. The sensors often are located behind the bumper on the frame horns or maybe on the radiator support, at least in the general area. I have seen vehicles hit the back of semi trailers that cleaned the everything above the bumper back to the cowl but the bags did not blow since the sensors were mounted low. BUT,BUT,BUT…air bags are not an exact science, I have also seen them blow for small impacts also.

2. Money pays bills but it can’t buy happiness. This dolt has all the money he can ever need and an attractive wife but he still can’t keep it at home. This moron is not a man at all.

3. I, like others don’t give a rats rear end about this guy.