Thoughts on the Dodge Charger

Rented a 19 Dodge Charger for a trip out of state. The car was a base model but had very comfortable seats and was well equipped and drove well. The car had 40k on it and had some slight engine/exhaust noise at start up - like rattling. But the overall experience was positive. Just wondered about your experiences. This car drives better than my Camaro base and visibility is excellent. Thanks for your input.

I doubt if you will get a lot of response about a 2019 vehicle here of any kind. Are you thinking about buying one and just the fact it had some noise you noticed at 40000 would be enough to take it off my list. Plus I would avoid any product from Fiat/Chrysler .

My SIL leases Chrysler products because he dad retired from Chrysler. Iā€™ve seen her 36 month lease cars for many years now. Sheā€™s had several Chargers, and Challengers, and now a Grand Cherokee.

They drive nice when they work butā€¦ All the cars have made their rounds of the dealer for warranty work in those 36 months. Sheā€™s had to put tires on almost all of them in 36 months. The interiors are cheap and donā€™t hold up. Heck, she had to replace a rear seat cover because it dissolved in one spot. Dealer claimed wear but there was no stain just a fist sized hole. My BIL does that 36 month merry-go-round with Ram trucks and has had the same issues with the ā€œdealer dance.ā€

Since we tend to keep cars a long time, I donā€™t think much of any Chrysler products.

1 Like

friend rented one 2 days ago. he has a newer mercedes c350 coupe and he said it was ok. not a good as his merc but ok.

Years ago I owned a Chrysler 300S. It was a daily driver. I had minor issues but frequently: fan motor for heater squealed. Replaced. Then went out. Dealer would not honor the first replacement. Head unit went out on radio/navigation. This happened just inside the warranty expiration. Head unit replaced. Back to dealer the next day because ā€œash trayā€ compartment door would not open. Then when Sirius renewed my radio, the radio came up as a Dodge Journey, not my car. Iā€™m not sure even if the head unit was new. I donā€™t know. I did have to buy tires. Because of the type of car, they were expensive. Also my WiFi stopped connecting with my phone. The dealer wanted me to leave the car for a few days to have them figure it out. Since the car was out of warranty, I traded it for another make. I will say I did enjoy the car for the most part, but the dealer experience was lacking unfortunately.

Given your history, another Chrysler product would be the last thing on my list.

1 Like

I have a friend with the 2wd model, he likes it the biggest problem it is not very good in the snow, a few years older though. AWD is an option.

Or winter tires, which should work better than AWD with all season tires.

1 Like

I had many Chryslers and have a Dodge minivan currently and they are no worse than the rest of them . Never had a lot of trouble with them . Current 14 van has 90000 miles and nothing but maintenance at this point . Currently looking at a new van or a Durango .

Vans are a whole nother story since they are front wheel drive, re driving in the snow.

If I wanted a sedan, I would consider a Charger, but only if I had the $$ to trade it in before the warranty runs out.
The AWD models have a front axle disconnect which I think would be an advantage. Though I would go with RWD.
I donā€™t know where comments about the Charger and other RWD vehicles ā€˜not good in snowā€ comes from. I lived in WI, MN, and UT, never had a problem with open diff RWD vehicles. Good winter tires and drivings skills are all that is required.

1 Like

And what percentage of the population (in any country) have acquired both those skills and the winter tires. 10 %?
I believe most of the regulars here are way above average with regards to skills, maintence and all other needed qualifications than the ordinary dentists, book keepers, chefs, plumbers - keep going on. We have those qualifications because we like (almost) anything automotive and have been dealing with those aspects for a very - maybe too long - time.

Brother in law has a 2018 Charger with the Pentastar V6 engine.He is very satisfied.

1 Like

Give me a plum purple one with a big hemi !!

In OK the state patrol, sheriffā€™s offices, and many city PD have been using Chargers for years. If they were trouble prone I would imagine they would have shifted to something else long ago.

1 Like

Right, they use a lot of them here in NY . The state troopers drive a lot of them but then again im not sure if they have AWD (probably do) or not .

Iā€™m not a member of law enforcement . . . but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s one of the main criteria

But I do work on fleet vehicles which get used by peace officers . . . and many of them are not exactly reliable. And thatā€™s putting it nicely. And most of the problems have absolutely zero to do with the fact the vehicles are driven hard

Apparently the purchase price is one of the most important factors. And if unreliable brand A is drastically cheaper than reliable brand B . . .

2 Likes

From the few conversations Iā€™ve had with LEOs, the main consideration is that that Charger is the only car left standing after the Crown Victoria was discontinued, i.e., a 4 door full sized sedan that actually has enough room to put a mesh between the front and back seats and to put a person in the back seat. More and more, they seem to be leaning toward Ford Explorers.

In my line of work . . . LEO actually means Light Equipment Operator :smiley:

But Iā€™m sure @Dakotaboy meant a law enforcement officer . . .

What about the Chevy Caprice PPV . . . itā€™s not body-on-frame, but it seems like it could be a viable alternative to the Dodge Charger

I drove a base model with a V6 for a rental a while back. The V6 was just adequate for a car that heavy. Iā€™d get one with the 5.7L V8 myself.