Thoughts/advice on underbody rust on 2004 S-10

Hey everyone! I’ve been in the market for a new(ish) pickup and I stumbled onto an s10 with 108k miles listed in my budget. I test drove it and loved it, I’m just concerned about some of the rust on the underside. Not sure if it is something that can be fixed for a reasonable price or a reason to turn and run from the truck so any and all advice would be much appreciated!

I can’t add more than one photo at a time because my account is new so here are the other photos I have of the truck, apologies about how annoying this probably looks

For reference, this is located in Pennsylvania. Not sure if location has anything to do with what is considered an acceptable amount of rust but figured id mention just in case :smile:

For a 19 year old truck in PA that looks good.

Try and poke a small screwdriver though the rustiest part. If it doesn’t go through, it is fine.

I don’t see anything in those pictures that would worry me.

The frame brace in the top 2 pics is the only thing that looks terrible, and then only the flanges at the bottom. Poke it with a screwdriver like @Mustangman suggested or grab the flanges with vice grips and flex the flange. The brace bolts in and can be replaced with one from a junk yard in better condition. The rest of the rust is topical and you could remove the loose rust, paint with a rust converter, and top coat. In PA I’d worry more about pot holes swallowing the truck.

1 Like

6 more years of life in road salt. 10 more years if kept washed and or garaged. Another 30 years if removed from road salt completely.

Check brake lines and the fuel tank and fuel tank connections for rust.