This would be a game-changer for EVs

:+1:

This comes up every few years. The practicality of it is lacking.

Inductive charge efficiency diminishes with distance. The roughly 6 inches of ground clearance even with low vehicles would make charging very inefficient at best and impossible at worst.

Makes sense for a stationary bus on a rest break that can drop a coil to the ground to charge but not moving cars.

This is a waste of money, IMHO.

7 Likes

Deploying this on roads would be incredibly expensive. The interstate highway system is 48,741 miles long. Just providing inductive charging on it is too much, let alone other roads.

What happens in the winter when a few inches of snow make it more than 6 inches also what happens when the road gets pot holes as they do in cold country?

3 Likes

They are currently using it successfully for buses moving on a highway in Israel.

It just gets worse with more distance

1 Like

Doesn’t say that in the article…

Says this:

Electreon Wireless, an Israeli company whose plug-free charging infrastructure is already being tested in Europe

and this;

and will soon launch a plug-free charging network for 200 public buses in Tel Aviv.

Which doesn’t say it is a wireless charging road, just a plug-free charging network maybe similar to what I mentioned here;

1 Like

That article not withstanding, they currently have demonstration projects operating in both Sweden and Israel:

And, there are two others currently in the construction phase in Germany and Italy:

That would be so helpful if stranded in a snowstorm!

None of the projects listed have any status updates. The Sweden and German projects were supposed to be running. But are they?

I could not find any news about actual running projects.

Look at the pop-up on the right side of the screen dealing with the Sweden project. According to that, they conducted an 80 kph run in November.

1 Like

The existing electric buses use overhead wires.

Imagine what would happen if somebody dropped a piece of metal plate on the highway or lost an aluminum ladder! It would induct a lot of current and generate a lot of heat! Even the metal car parts would induct currents. The pickup part of the transformer would have to hang much lower to be very close to the pavement. Then there would have to be transformer core material extending nearly to the surface of the pavement, for miles and miles. The cost of this would be outrageous.

Mounting railroad wheels to EVs and having them drive under wires or having a powered rail would be cheaper.
Renting a trailer full of batteries and returning it at the destination to recharge would be better.
A diesel power pusher trailer for long trips would make more sense. Looks like it’s been done: Mike Chancey's Civic Pusher Trailer

Anything but this idea!

1 Like

My crystal ball read the above post. said what the? started smoking and then died. LOL

4 Likes

There is no core, just coils. Copper coils embedded in the asphalt.

Yes, I agree. It will take a LOT of copper for long stretches of roadway to make any real difference.

Also be interesting to see what the durability of flexing the copper coils under asphalt will be long term. Asphalt is a “live” surface that flexes as traffic drives over it. Maybe they think the coils will be small enough the wheels won’t pass over much. Maybe they are wrong. Time will tell.

Maybe this will have the same problems as the “solar road”

But governments are hog-wild to spend other peoples money on projects like these and grant-hungry tech companies are drooling at the prospect.

1 Like

This is even worse than the solar road. How could it be made to prevent current from inducting in to the wheel rims of cars with low profile tires? Or in to the chassis of the car itself? Only specially made EVs could drive on this road. Might as well make a special rail road.

1 Like

Those were called streetcars and No, they were not cheaper, nor flexible, nor desirable

It has been tried… in taxicabs in the early 1900s in New York and elsewhere. Proposed for trial 15 years or so ago. Still didn’t work.

Well, for one, most wheels these days are aluminum and therefore not magnetic. Two, the coils are in the middle of the road, not the tire track points.

We have electric streetcars with overhead wires, I would think running over an aluminum ladder would be no problem, as it is a ground connection to the rails, and the motors only draw what they need.

As usual the SNOWMAN KNOWS all the answers. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I thought this might have been the topic here:
India will implement a battery swapping policy to boost EV sales | Engadget

Actually makes some sense to replace the gas 3-wheelers with EVs. Much smaller battery than for a full size vehicle, not so expensive to swap.

The first EVs (1900-1910) used battery swapping for taxis in NYC.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about EV’s so this will probably sound dumb.
right now we charge our gas vehicle batteries with an alternator. why can’t they make an alternator with a hole in the middle that will run on the spinning of a drive axle? put a few on each drive axel to charge the EV batteries.

1 Like