'This Metal Is Worth More Than Gold, and It Scrubs Your Car's Exhaust'

Here’s a summary of the rules for lead-shot in the various states.

http://www.leadfreehunting.com/state-regulations/

Of course it does. This is well known issue at least in the Northeast where lead shot for bird hunting over water and fishing tackle including lead is banned. Loons are particularly susceptible to injesting lead as they forage. Here’s one reference- Loons and Lead – Loon Preservation Committee

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1804726

If you are pulling chains off power saws (whether gas or battery), that is not safe! Please pull out the instruction manual and be sure the chain is tightened correctly – might require a partial strip down depending on the model. And be sure to remove the battery first! Good luck.

Yeah, I always make sure the chain brake is on with the electric saw when removing the chain. The chain brake is a traditional brake like on a gas saw but also has an electronic disconnect. You pull the trigger and it won’t do anything or hum.

As for the aluminum wiring, that is interesting that the stupid crack heads have caused this. Aluminum is still worth scrapping but I guess it is about 1/4 the return of stealing copper so that eliminates a lot of this. For house wiring I am sticking to copper. I don’t care of the alloys used in the wiring have improved. It sounds like there are a lot more limitations and it is less forgiving to a rough install. Sometimes I have to grab wiring with needle nose pliers to get it into position while installing a new outlet or replacing an existing one. It simply is not possible to avoid scratching the wire with the pliers which isn’t an issue with copper.

Many service drops are a heavy aluminum wire with a steel core to withstand the tension. They call this ACSR or aluminum conductor steel reinforced wire. I came across a couple good runs of this during a computer job on a construction site where they were demoing an old building. I was offered anything I could take so made off with some nice scrap lumber and this wire. The wire is rated for a 200amp service and then I have another 100amp run that was for overhead lights or similar. I am going to be building a house soon and this much wire would be a couple hundred dollars to buy. The more I look, the more I think I am going underground from the pole when I build the house so this was probably for nothing. I doubt anyone would buy it and the scrap value is only a few dollars but may end up going that way as I probably won’t need it.

Couldn’t figure out what you were talking about but then it dawned on me that some folks call chain saws power saws. A power saw to me is a table saw or skill saw. I’ve got the easy chain adjuster though on mine. Just loosen the knob and rotate a wheel to tighten or loosen. Never touch the chain. But who would do that with the thing running anyway?

Of course, chain saws are a subset of power saws. I have a battery chain saw pruner and learned early on to do no maintenance without removing the battery pack. Too easy to start the motor! Especially compared to a gas-“power” saw (guess where that is where I got the “power” word from…) My battery saw requires removal of a housing cover removing three screws first, and an allen wrench to tighten the chain (an early version of a battery model?). Ugh…