Armor plating

Whenever I go to buy a new car, the salesman always tries to sell me something he calls “armor plating” (or words to that effect) for the paint. He claims I’ll never have to wax the car again and the paint will be protected from any kind of damage. The cost us usually $250.00 or more. What is this stuff? Is it really some miracle substance that’s not available on the open market of is it just sales hype for a regular wax job?

Tom

It’s sales hype for regular wax; nothing more. He gets a commission from these extras.

Just for kicks, ask the salesman if the factory paint is really so inferior that it needs armor plate. :slight_smile:

This is a high mark-up dealer add-on. If this stuff really worked, don’t you think the manufacturer of the vehicle would have it on their vehicles? Think of it! A car maker saying you never have to wax their cars, and the paint will be protected from any kind of damage. What a marketing advantage!

Save your money.

Tester

I remember Polyglycoat. Avoid parking under trees and power lines and you can really save a paint job. If I knew the car was going to be parked in a garage, I would offer armor plating for $75 and make a good profit with Rally car wax.

is it just sales hype for a regular wax job?

Yes

Thanks. I’ve always wondered about this. When I asked the salesman what this stuff really was and if it could be purchased at an auto supply store, he was evasive in his answer. It seems reasonable that if such a wonder substance existed, the manufacturer wouldn’t limit his market to car dealers alone.

Thanks. I’ve always wondered about this. When I asked the salesman what this stuff really was and if it could be purchased at an auto supply store, he was evasive in his answer. It seems reasonable that if such a wonder substance existed, the manufacturer wouldn’t limit his market to car dealers alone.

Zeebart offers a similar detailing product for about 99 bucks for outside and 99 bucks for inside. I would personally use Nu Fiinish polish. It is available in any Walmart. It is basically a long life wax.

4 identical replies? I think someone got carried away with the ol’ cut and paste…

Just trying to be polite and acknowledge the time an effort of the respondents, even if I didn’t bother to craft a unique reply to each.

Absolutely BS, no matter what the salesman says.

This garbage is nothing more than a thin wax. It goes by different names but I had the dubious honor? of applying some of this stuff one time.

The dealer detail man was overloaded on a Fri. evening and the company asked if any mechanics wanted to stay late and “protect” a few cars. Don’t blame me; I was in service, not sales. They offered us full pay to stay late and catch a few cars up for next day delivery, which we did.

This “protectant” was a very thin clear wax that was easily wiped on and wiped off without using any elbow grease. We got paid an hour of flat rate per car and we could do one in a 1/2 hour by getting after it. Even paying mechanics full pay they still made out like a bandit since they got almost 300 bucks for this junk, which cost them around 4 bucks or so a bottle.
Normally their slightly over minimum wage detail guy would have done this and increased the profit margin even more.

A few rainstorms or a trip through the car wash usually meant the end of the armor plate. :slight_smile: