This could be confusing

Jim , just do what you did back in March where you has a thread with a heading . Maybe it might work better if you log on to the forum and quit using email .

1 Like

I do not see ‘new topic’, I do see ‘open draft. I do have an updated profile and an updated Gauge problems with ‘86 S10 Blazer.

I tried to manually update what I had out there and it just got worse. Plus once I got the profile updated, every time I would go back to the Car Talk URL, it would show me as logged on. I was not familiar enough with screens to determine where I needed to go. I don’t know if it was because I was using an IPad, or whether I got mixed up between mobile and desktop.

If I send you the 2 files can you insert them in the proper place and delete where I tried to manually update and got those extra screens.

Updated profile

74, retired from IBM. Married. Cary, NC, Washington Redskins fan, animal lover, , Adopt, don’t shop, 2 pocket Beagles, enjoy yard work and DIY landscaping, tend to at least DIY try to fix things rather than replace.

Updated Gauge problems with ‘86 S10 Blazer

Bought Blazer new July 1986. 1st night at home, turned switch on and every light on dash came on. Back to dealer next day. Claimed ground between dash and firewall was loose.1 yr later phantom wiper switch showed up. Dealer never could correct. Switch on column replaced. Wiper motor replaced. GM service bulletin documented problem, but no fix. 2 yrs later oil gauge quit. Took back to dealer, 2 sending units replaced. Still not working. Back to dealer. They claimed when they shut it off. Engine locked up.Without getting 2nd opinion, replaced with new 2.8 crate engine @ 95,255 miles. 3 freeze plugs leaking. Water temp not working, no reason found. Manual gauge installed. Coolant leak manifold. Journals clogged. Dexcool corrosion under manifold. Got one from salvage yard and cleaned it up so it could be used. When everything was
Put back together, gas gauge still not working. Replaced sending unit on manifold. Gauge still failed. Removed instrument cluster and sent it out to be checked. Vendor put panel under load and all gauges functioned properly. When instrument cluster was returned,checked p/n on cluster and it indicated ‘87 Blazer. Decided to replace fuel pump. Replaced with a new Delphi. Blazer started right up, but gas gauge not registering. Disconnected ground at tank and reconnected. Gauge responded, but doesn’t seem correct. Unable to replace gauge on cluster. Tried 2 types of carb cleaner to see if there was some debris on resistor. That didn’t work Blazer has 18gallon tank. Checking gallons added at fill up against odometer showed average of 5.5 MPG. That can’t be right.
Will try tune up and see if that helps.given the age of the Blazer I can’t justify many more expenses
With what I have I have spent already, I could have bought a new car.