Strange problem with Garmin GPS (navigation system)

I’m experiencing a strange problem with my 2017 Accord. It started about a year ago and relates to the navigation system. When I first start the car, The navigation system doesn’t seem to know where it is and it places the vehicle marker at some random position on the map. Over the next minute or two, it gradually refines its guess and moves closer to where it really is. Eventually it locks on to the right place, but that typically takes about 4 or 5 minutes. Because it doesn’t know where it is, it cannot plan a route until it does. This just started happening about a year ago. Before that, it recognized its current location within a few seconds.
Does anyone have a guess as to what might be causing this and a recommendation for what I could do about it?
Thanks for your help!
Alan

My guess is that when you first turn it on, it quickly finds the approximate location by pinging the nearest cell phone tower. The cell phone tower knows where it is located, and it sends that info to your Garmin. Then the Garmin uses the satellite signals to figure out the exact location. So I’m thinking there’s some problem with its access to the cell phone tower.

For Petes sake , stop guessing . The navigation system uses the Global Positioning System ( GPS ) . Satellites not cell phone towers .

I am going to get Flagged but so be it . George if you don’t know just shut up . You don’t have to post on every thread.

3 Likes

Have you updated the firmware recently ?
Also your subscription may be expired.

https://hondanavi.navigation.com/models/Catalog/Catalog_Accord/en_US/HondaNA/USD

1 Like

I have updated the maps, but not the firmware. How do I do that?
Also note that it has worked fine for years and recently started doing this.

How else is he going to be top poster, 1600 more posts and he’s got the highest post count.

https://community.cartalk.com/u?order=post_count&period=all

1 Like

What you could do about it: Forget about the Garmin and use the gps on your cellphone.

1 Like

I’d bet that has to be done at the dealer. Think of firmware updatw as a little like updating from Windows 10 to 11.

1 Like

I dunno but ten years ago we rented an impala but the compass was all screwed up. Looking in the manual it said to drive it around in circles for a few minutes and that corrected it. So I’d talk to the dealer and do a deep dive into the manual for info on recalibrating it. Or you may have a problem with the receiver.

I still generally don’t use GPS “navigation systems.” I’m not going to tell you that they haven’t come in handy from time to time under extreme circumstances.

But mostly - learn to understand basic things like where you are and where you need to go in compass terms - North/South/East/West. Learn how to read a map. Scout out your routes and understand them with your brain. Keep an understanding of where your are and where you’re going.

Or … be a bot. :person_shrugging:

@alan1129 The only thing I have is that a web search shows that there was TBS ( technical service bullitin ) for the GPS in your vehicle . Have no idea if it is still active but your local dealer might have that answer .

As a follow on to @VOLVO-V70’s post, @alan1129 could check Manufacturer Communication Number: A18-024 to see if his Accord is included in the group with GPS errors. This manufacturer communication is available for free at NHTSA.gov. Select RECALL on the menus bar, enter the VIN or identify the year, make, and model then go to the manufacturer communication page. This communication is under the electrical section.

I think their access to free updates has expired. I’d be VERY surprised if the GPS stopped working altogether because he hasn’t paid for a recent update. Sounds more like a technical problem with the GPS, not a subscription issue. If that was the case the GPS just wouldn’t start, likely with a message to ‘Update your maps now’ displayed.

I didn’t know Honda used Garmin software for their GPS systems. When I first read your post I was thinking the connection to the GPS antenna was a failing. That may still be it.

Those software updates might be your problem. My 2017 Chevy Volt has a built in GPS that works pretty good. But I have not updated the map data because GM charges WAY too much for it. But the GPS does still work fine.

I also use stand alone Garmin GPS’s because they have the best products, in my opinion. Lifetime free updates (4 per year).

It’s no big deal. Just programm the gps and start heading to your destination (surely you know how to get out of you neighborhood). By the time you get to unfamiliar territory the gps will have caught up.

You might want to read this before you jump all over George:

I’m not saying that the Honda navigation system definitely uses this, but it’s certainly technically possible.

4 Likes

Off topic a little but I think our Acura uses the Tom Tom system for the navigation. In a previous Acura I did update it but about all it did was add new restaurants etc. but not current roads. About $200 and took four hours to load up. Never had a problem locating me right away but loses its signal in the garage or car wash.

What really ticked me off is that radar weather was eliminated. The dealer said everyone just uses their phone but of course in minnesota you can’t even touch your phone while driving plus kind of small to see. I miss not knowing if I’m driving into a tornado or blizzard. The lowered the monthly rate anyway.

Maybe try their customer service line for the navigation. You’ll get a kid on the line but seem to know the system.

@alan1129 Can you let us know if this is a Garmin that is part of the car or a standalone unit? I have a friend with a Prius with built-in navigation, but he still uses his Garmin. Seems strange but still true.

Is the car parked in a garage? I can’t get satellite radio in my garage. My old TomTom could display how many satellites it was connected to. As I remember 5 was typical.

@PintoKid,
My Navigation system is built into the dashboard. The software was developed by Garmin.
I have updated it using updates that come from Garmin.
It WAS parked in the garage, but what I was describing was after I backed out or when I was someplace else.
Mine probably could tell me the number of satellites, but I don’t know how.
Alan

How is the GPS software update accomplished?; i.e. how is the update data sent to the Garmin unit? Does is arrive directly from a satellite signal? By a cell-phone or wifi connection? Or do you have to go to a dealership and they update it for you?