Thinking about a 2017 Nissan Datsun 1600 Fairlady

I am interested to buy a Datsun GO, will it be a good thing to do as i am alone with a child. I cannot afford to be stuck or have any kind of problems on the road. Please can someone be honoust and let me know before I go and purchase one? Thank you

Most of the responders on this site are in America and the Datsun GO is not sold here. Just guessing but generally Nissan products are of good quality. It is interesting that, as far as I can determine, is not sold in Japan either.

1 Like

I’ve heard of the Datsun GO, it’s mainly sold in India and Indonesia. By North American standards it’s very small, very slow, and quite basic. By the standards of it’s primary markets, it’s not bad at all. It does not have 1600cc engine, nor is it related in any way to the Fairlady ( Z car), so I’m not sure where that is coming from. Unfortunately, I cannot speak to it’s reliability because it’s not sold in the U.S. But it shouldn’t be unreliable simply on the virtue of there not being much on the car to go wrong, it’s built on chassis that’s been around for 8 or 9 years now, the engine a 1.2L 3 cylinder, and it has a 5 speed manual. With that said, the GO is reputed to be a deathtrap, even by Indian standards.

Most likely from the OP trying to fill out the info parts .
I hope the OP is looking at a new one of these and not a 2017 that is back on the market this quick.

image Agreed.
I do not remember if Datsun used the Fairlady name on US models. But seems the Z designation was first used on the 240. But I am just going by memory-too lazy research…lol

What country? What are your alternatives?

My brother had the misfortune to own one of those dogs.
On second thought, I shouldn’t insult the canine population of the world…

Not sure if it is still there in Tulsa , OK. A person who had a import parts store bought a Datsun Fairlady new and he had a list of people who wanted to buy it if he ever wanted to sell it.

I don’t know anything about this car, but I’m kind of concerned after reading this:

Is there some small Toyota that you could buy instead? That’s probably your best chance of high reliability with better safety.

Autocar India did a long term test ending about 2yrs ago but and while it wasn’t their favorite it worked pretty well for the sort of city driving that you’d mostly need it for with the ability to go on the highway comfortably when you want to. No sound insulation,Airbags, or pretty much any other feature we expect here.

Most reports I have read on these cars they were far superior to their British counterparts, especially the 2L versions.