They're free!

Get your free “tars”!

:wink:

4 Likes

That is how many folks below the Mason-Dixon line pronounce it.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed that in Maryland.

That depends on how far south of the line you go.

1 Like

Maryland is a border state I have noticed a mixture of north and south in their language.

I had 2 uncles in the all business. One worked for Gulf, the other for Mobil.

2 Likes

Or, as some folks pronounce those brands, “Golf” and “Mobile”.
:smirk:

1 Like

In some areas of the Deep South they put all in their engines, perhaps mobile all.

1 Like

Central Maryland “oil”
Southern Maryland “all”
Eastern Shore “arll”
Western Maryland “erll”
DC Area “Who the heck knows, they’re all here from somewhere else for a couple of years” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nothing like insulting millions of people, but I’m from up north and some people think we talk “funny” too.

1 Like

Nothing like insulting millions of people, but I’m from up north and some people think we talk “funny” too.

We don’t think you talk funny we know you do.

4 Likes

Yeah, Maryland owns the Mason Dixon line, along with Pennsylvania.

1 Like

In Hudson County, NJ, “erll” used to be the accepted pronunciation for “oil”.
Back in my gas jockey days, one of my co-workers–from Hudson County–used to ask customers if they wanted their “erll” checked.

He was also the source of some pretty good humor. We had three grades of oil available, and one day a customer asked my co-worker, “What is the difference between the 50 cent oil and the $1 oil?”, and the response was, “What’s the difference between chicken sh*t and chicken salad?”.

:rofl:

1 Like

I remember coming back over the border from Niagara and encountering the customs official. He had such an accent I couldn’t understand a word he said, and that was when my hearing was still ok. I didn’t tell him to speak English but I would have liked to. At least slow down a little for us foreigners.

US Customs or Canadian? For many Quebec citizens, French is their first language.

2 Likes

US Customs. Coming back over from Niagara Falls, Canada to Buffalo, NY USA. I don’t know what year, probably 78.

'I don't care 'bout your tar-ment, I don't care 'bout your so-called 'Social Security'
When I tried my schoolboy French in Quebec in '66 no one understood me.

It’s the ‘Old Line State’ which never seemed like anything to brag about. Favorite Maryland trivia question: What’s the state sport?

We made inedible Maryland beaten biscuits in elementary school.

It’s not an insult.

1 Like

Jousting, of course. No, I didn’t look it up. I learned that at the State Fair.

When I was growing up someone told me that the only place where people spoke “proper” American English was Hartford, Connecticut. That’s where Noah Webster lived when he put together the first dictionary of American English. Guess where I was when I heard that local legend?

There’s 330,000,000 of us so it’s pretty amazing that we mostly all speak some kind of English. Immigrants try to hang on to their native language, but their kids speak English.

Y’all wanna check th’ air in mah tars? An’ howz da all? OK?

We get by.

2 Likes

I grew up in Minneapolis, like many Minnesotans I thought we don’t talk like they do in the movie Fargo. I have been away for 40 years, talked to one of my old friends from high school, yes we do. I lost that accent after 20 years in the military. Even after 8 months (basic and technical training), when I I returned home on leave one friend asked me if I spoke English anymore.

Now, which is it, pop or soda?

1 Like