The tire shoulder was cut by a sharp object

my brand new car. have a tire cut on the shoulder (~3mm). No air is leaking out. Is there any flexible glue to fill and bond the cut? or should be replace? Thanks you.

That looks dangerous. I’d replace the tire immediately.

In addition, perhaps it’s just the picture, but your tread looks really low for a brand new car. What’s your actual tread depth here and how many miles are on these tires?

5 Likes

Looks like a split that is result of impact damage, not repairable.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’ll replace a new tire.

about ~3-4mm for that cut.

I’ve only done 3500mile.

The tire is BRIDGESTONE 215/60/R16 95H TURANZA - ThaiLand (Tread Depth ‎9 32nds)

.3 mm is less than 4 /32 I would replace all 4 if the others are similar. 35000 miles is about all you can expect from the tires that come on most new cars.

To my eye that doesn’t look like a cut. It looks like a crack- and given its location, it just might be the first sign that the tire is failing.

In either event, replace all the tires.

While I respect your expertise with tires, I have to wonder why you would counsel someone who has driven only 3,500 miles, and whose tires still have 9/32 of tread remaining, to replace all four.

1 Like

On second look, the photo is less than optimal and the tires may have more depth than I originally thought. And I now see the followup post from OP. So, you are correct, I think the OP needs to get someone to look at that more closely.

The OP claims that they have 9/32 remaining. Perhaps we could ask the OP to re-measure the tread depth. Looking again at the pic, they do seem to be in… not-so-good condition, and I think I see two cuts or separations in the sidewall, which are unrepairable.

1 Like

Here’s a photo of a new Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tire. The tread pattern on the edge of the OP’s tire looks significantly more worn than the new tire below, especially the edge pattern. It looks like the OP is in Thailand and maybe that has something to do with tread appearance, and photos can often make things appear different than they are in person. Now that I’ve used sufficient weasel words to CMA, I’d say any of the tires with this level of tread wear need to be replaced.

???

+1

The photo was there when I pressed ‘reply’. I actually wanted to show the entire tread as shown below (I hope).

Now that I can see the photo, look at the difference in the tread at the edge. The edge sipes on the worn tires don’t extend fully from edge to the first circumferential groove while they do on the unused tires.

Too much garbage in this.
Way too much wear for only 3500 miles.
Where is the rest of the tire? (Green triangle)

New to you, obliviously a well used tire.

9/32 tread depth? Maybe at the edge corner (yellow arrow)
Looks like 2 splits (red circles)

2 Likes

I don’t see 9/32" anywhere on that tire. Looks worn out to me. And damaged.

1 Like

BS. I’ve never had tires last less than 20K miles (high performance summer tires) and on the family car 40K is the minimum.

1 Like

+1
While OEM tires almost always wear-out very rapidly as compared to the tires that I replace them with, I have never had any of my OEM tires needing replacement until at least 30k miles. My father’s '66 Ford Galaxie came from the factory with BF Goodrich Silvertown tires that were evenly-worn–with barely any tread–by 16k miles, but that was the worst OEM tire wear that I ever saw.

Both our new cars came with michelin, 35 and 23k miles, still doing great.

I’d usually get 30-40k on oem tires. But yeah replace it.

I misread 3500 , and thought it was 35000. I assumed the OP meant the original tread depth was 9/32.

If the tire in the pic has only 3500 miles on it, he must have been drifting it.

1 Like

Well sometimes you just dust your pants off and go on. I wrecked a new tire with only 1500 miles on it. $250 plus mounting and balancing.