The Things People Ask

Made up or not, that’s one of the few stories that properly used the word “utilized.”
:wink:

Even if we weren’t in the midst of a global pandemic, I’d take a hard pass on the work unless the customer is willing to stick around to blow in the device himself.

This would be a good start for a comedy sketch. It could escalate with the mechanic discovering more of the customer’s vices, with each one being worse than the last.

1 Like

Reality is always more ridiculous than any comedy writer’s imagination. Wander over to Reddit and look into ItJustRolledIntoTheShop. Pictures of the stuff people leave in their cars for mechanics to find… firearms, adult toys, drugs and paraphernalia, general garbage and worse. Plus the condition of the cars… filthy as sewers, wheel bearings that are a mile from falling off, brake rotors you can see through, rust holes in frame members big enough to push a fist through.

And we share the roads with these people.

1 Like

… and then there’s the “stuff” that isn’t visible to the naked eye.
Several years back, on The UK’s Top Gear program, they ran a microscopic and DNA analysis of the interiors of used cars. The BMW that Richard Hammond purchased was a veritable petri dish of essentially everything that the human body can excrete, including one… substance… that only males can produce.
:nauseated_face:

5 Likes

I remember that episode. I was thinking about it recently when I saw another driver picking his nose at a red light.

It would be nice if that was the only disgusting thing that people did in their cars…
:unamused:

The crazyest was a woman driver in bumper to bumper traffic had her baby laying in the passenger seat changing it’s diaper while she was driving I had to feel sorry for the baby as she was doing it the old fashion ::way using saftey pin’s.

Ouch!
:grimacing:

1 Like

I dunno, I guess these comments are kinda car related. Reminded me of when I was circling the block on Lake St. in Minneapolis looking for the place that had parts for my nail gun. When I came to a stop, a “lady” opened my door thinking I was trying to hire her. That in turn reminded me of when at about 8 years old I gave Shirley a ride in my red wagon. Afterwards I had to hose off the wagon. We didn’t have Lysol then. So I never give females a ride if I don’t know them.

This in turn has reminded me that a danger for business is both not to get too diversified less they lose focus and also not too narrow in their offering so as to miss a whole big market. Seems like if we are to the point of commenting on interior cleanliness, we may be scraping the bottom of car related things to comment on. I don’t have any car problems and looks like a lot of others don’t either. Editorial over.

\\\ I agree.//////

Ditto!
But, if you think about it, that speaks volumes about the quality of cars nowadays. Of course, you and I maintain our cars properly, so that is also a factor.

Yeah sure but just saying maybe a Car Talk site for just car problems might be a little too narrow a focus since there seem to be few car problems. The history was way back with the software change that the site something like Chathouse developed which was free flowing and got a lot of traffic for a while. Then Plan B developed out of that. Sad but people died and so did the sites but you were always free to bring up whatever you wanted like what kind of grass seed do you use?

The wood working sites I was on also was pretty free flowing from cabinet making to general construction and anything else someone had a question on except of course sex and those other things in the slow times. It always came back to cabinet making though. Active enough so you could visit multiple times a day for fresh comments. Just sayin’ is all.