What do you think about this/

Infrastructure Bill Would Require Alcohol Monitors for All New Cars (freebeacon.com)

Just more of big brother wanting to monitor our lives and besides what little drinking I do I do at home and not behind the wheel and also I am not sure but don’t different states or maybe different areas in the state have different levels of BAC content so how would the manufactures be able to do that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would take a look at what company contributed how much and to whom.

2 Likes

Back to the godlen rule he who has the gold makes the rules.

MADD made sure this was added to the bill.

I’m not in favor of that idea. But I doubt anyone is DC cares what I think.

A grumble from a conservative “news” outlet about something that won’t happen anyway. How novel.

2 Likes

Heh heh. I don’t know much about those devices but seems to me you have to blow into a straw like thing and wait for a minute. I hope they have a supply of new straws. Day after day blowing into the same straw, or multiple users, or the mechanic blowing into it. Any idea how many microbes would be on that thing? Millions or billions and not all friendly.

3 Likes

What I think is that I am very thankful that I decided to fix my Daewoo Lanos and keep my Plymouth Sundance with the intention of restoring it when time permits. I am even more thankful that I kept our 2004 Toyota Corolla, even as my wife relentlessly nagged me to buy her a new(er) car. Buying a newer car means more than just spending a lot of money which I’d rather not part with. It means accepting a lot of undesirable “convenience” features and intrusive monitoring and communication features.

At this point, you could not give me a modern vehicle as a gift. I am much more concerned with the fundamental right to privacy than I am with the so-called “safety improvements” and emissions improvements offered by newer models.

3 Likes

You probably better hurry up and get it done soon.

I have a feeling that someday soon it’s going to cost a fortune in fuel taxes and licensing to own and drive a 20+ year old car that doesn’t get 50+ mpg

1 Like

I honestly feel bad for your wife living with such a Luddite. Especially since the vast majority of the things you complain about on here (like automatic windows FFS) rarely break.
:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I listen to sports leaning talk radio in afternoon. They have ignition interlock firm who advertises. Targeted audience?

For crying out loud !!! She is an equal partner in your life , maybe even more than 50% . You spend money on an old Daewoo but she can’t have a newer vehicle with features she might appreciate . Like remote entry for rainy days or backup camera to watch out for kids that can run behind a vehicle faster than an speeding bullet. :thinking:

6 Likes

How about the very same article from a decidedly not conservative news outlet?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/buried-in-the-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-in-car-breathalyzers/ar-AAMTBwm

2 Likes

It’s excessive Big Brother overreach IMO. If they are going to do that then have monitors to prevent someone from driving after or while smoking weed, using Opioids or tranquilizers, or texting.

Back in the 90s it was, if I remember correctly, GM was experimenting with sensors that would detect how much sugar, salt, and so on the driver was consuming.
Sorry, OnStar has disabled your vehicle. The sensors show you should not have eaten those heavily salted McDs french fries.
Or the sensors show you are hyperglycemic now after that stop at Krispy Kreme.

3 Likes

It’s still a–pardon the pun–“nonstarter.” Automakers, in concert with their allies in Congress, will never let it happen. Expect it to be removed from the final bill.

3 Likes

Oh, I like the pun. Kudos!

We shall see. The seatbelt starter interlock got installed in the 1970s with resistance from automakers. When buyers screamed to Congress and it was quickly repealed and bypass kits installed.

1 Like

Prohibitionists have been at this for thousands of years. How has it worked? A totally stupid idea to harass all people when 10% of all arrests are for DUI. I think we can be certain that many of those arrests were repeat offenders. I can go for a breathalyzer installation on cars owned by DUI offenders, but not the general public. I agree that drunk driving is a problem, but not one that we should all be forced to pay for. Maybe the proponents should pay for it all themselves if they are so interested in breathalyzers.

4 Likes

But then just like the Jeep I rented, every time I start my Acura, the page comes up on the display to agree to drive safely and obey traffic laws. (That’s just a paraphrase. I don’t ever read it.) But it’s just a simple hop skip and a jump to disable the car if you don’t agree. I don’t know when they started having to remind everyone like a 5 year old, but somehow they did. I’m sure I paid for it.

1 Like

Maybe something for consideration is what happened in OK a few years ago. Young man got his second DWI and in the process ran into and killed another young man.

The judge gave the guy 2 choices. One is prison. The other was that he had to go by the home of the parents of the deceased and give them 1 dollar each week; on time.
Of course the guy jumped all over the second option.

Within a few months he was back before the court begging to be sent away. Facing the parents weekly was tormenting him horribly. (And good I say.)
Never heard a followup to this story so I do not know if he went to prison or continued to have to pay the dollar a week.

3 Likes