I was unable to find the thread I started the discussion in, so I’ll beg your forbearance for starting a new thread.
I mentioned that I was considering creating a ram air system in my 2005 tC. Well, the final project is done and the results in. In summary, I:
- increased the air intake snorkel capacity by 20% by replacing the snorkle with flexable hose (shop vac hose) of greater diameter.
- removed the cap on my left front vent and replaced it with a homemade grille, providing a true cold air source for the engine
- created an “air chamber” into which the cold air flows when the car is moving, including drainage for water
- dropped the new snorkle intake to just above the inflow of cold air
- added a “velocity cone” (which should actually be called a “compression cone”) in homage to Bernoulli (like we used to put on “velocity stacks”)
So now I have true cold air feeding a snorkle of increased capacity, possible under slightly elevated pressure.
It turned out that the cavity behind the left front vent was all plastic up to the top of the wheel well, so creating a chamber out of that seemed more logical than my original idea of adding an air box.
Anyway, it worked. There is a definite performance improvement, particularly when travelling above 30 mph, with no adverse effects. The engine even sounds better. Testing with a garden hose and then miles of highway driving in heavy downpours showed absolutely no water to be drawn up into the air box.
Just as an FYI, I also installed a TRD rear sway bar (a definite reduction in lean and understeer) which really tightened up the handling, and I replaced that bean-shaped rubber shift know with a Titleist #1, my dad’s favorite. I was simply unable to find an old fashioned cueball-colored shift ball. An old-fashioned ball simply feels much better than the new ergonomic shifters they’re installing now.
The project was a success. And I’ve honored my dad and Bernolli both. Now it’s on to my next challange. That’ll be to find affordable pressure and temperature transducers to drop down into the cavity and see what the actual changes are. From there I may even “tweak” the cavity, but in truth I just want to learn exactly what all I’ve changed and by how much. Its one thing to create a change, but even better to understand it.