The poor state of manuals today

Tough hobby. :laughing:
I do woodworking.

I would guess your treadmill was made in Asia. There is an historic issue with manuals supplied to the U.S. from Asian countries as Asiatic languages do not translate well into English.

However, the manuals for my Jeep Cherokee are very good. The one for the car itself is over 700 pages long and the one for the radio is 275 pages long. The only issue is that it takes a while to go through the indexes in order to find what you need.

1 Like

That was my guess too. I haven’t checked, however. The manual doesn’t even provide THAT information! I just looked at the product label next to the power switch and it isn’t there either!

I really like the treadmill. I’d think they’d want to advertise its place of manufacture… as a matter of fact I believe U.S. law requires it.
Oh well. Nomatter. I’ve got a treadmill I like at a cost I can afford and some good “operating manual” jokes to tell. I’m a happy man. :grin:

1 Like

When I read the title, I thought “well, yeah, manual transmissions are stuck at 6 speeds and few cars even offer them while you have 8, 9, or even 10 speed automatic transmissions.” Except that this wasn’t the manuals that you were talking about, LOL.

You never know where some of these discussions will head to. It can keep going off track into education talk until we are pulled back in to stay on topic.

I thought it was kind of funny though on the Acura manual that after 300 pages or so, the rest of it is on a DVD. So if you have the manual in the glove box but need to see the part that is on the DVD, you are out of luck if you are driving and don’t have a computer with you. I know some prefer it on computer but I like scanning paper pages and indexes to see what I want.

1 Like

And many (most?) small laptops one might be traveling with no longer have an optical drive. Could load it on a thumb drive, I guess.

1 Like

Microsoft keyboard warning in case you ever feel adventurous enough to use one!

1 Like

As I quietly SCREAM while typing on my keyboard. Its not enough every time I get in the car I have to read that I am responsible for driving safely and obeying all laws etc. etc., now I suppose I’m going to have this kind of warning on MY computer that I PAID for. Take it away, take it away, take it away. First its motorcycle helmets and then keyboards-keep us safe.

1 Like

LOL, warnings have become a farce. This one is from my toothpaste tube:

Warnings

• Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age.
  • If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a poison control center right away.

So be sure not to accidentally swallow when you brush your teeth. You might poison yourself.

Good grief . . .

We used to laugh when they first came out with the MSDS on everything. There was one for white glue that we happened to buy. I joked with the Safety Officer about what was hazardous about white glue and she said well if you drink enough of it.

Now I hear kids are eating those dishwasher detergent pods. For what purpose I’m not sure except maybe to blow bubbles. I do hope they don’t put them in child proof containers though.

1 Like

Many years ago when working in Oakland California a young lady who took care of some office details for me was called for jury duty and sat for a case involving a lady who drove around the drop down barrier at a railroad crossing in an effort to beat the train but she failed and the train hit her station wagon throwing her and her kids all over the street. Everyone survived but the injuries to some of the kids were severe and the mother had no insurance so she sued the owner of the train’s engine. After several days of litigation the mother was awarded more than $1million and my coworker was devastated that she couldn’t get more for the lady who had nothing… Now don’t get me wrong hear, I am somewhat liberal in my politics but how is a jury allowed to find a train crew guilty and financially responsible for the criminal negligence of a driver? It’s somewhat like the would be burglar who sued the owner of a convenience store where the HVAC system trapped him for hours in his failed attempt to rob the place. But he won also.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, tort law and tort lawyers have spun out of control. It’s no longer about compensation to make one “whole” or even medical expenses. It’s a lottery. It’s even been called “the ghetto lottery”. If the tort laws and the courts were not out of control, the lawyers would not be, and we could get back to some form of justice. “Justice” to me means making a victim “whole” or being sure that medical bills are covered, not getting a million dollars for a spilled cup of coffee.

I don’t know the answer(s). But the problem is obvious to everyone except the courts and lawmakers. The lawyers (parasites) just suckle at the teat of a broken system.

An attorney here in Mississippi named Scruggs took litigation to new heights. He sued the tobacco industry and became a Billionaire but got caught trying to bribe an honest judge in a minor suit to prevent paying one of his subcontracted attorneys all that he was owed.

Did that just happen last year? I seem to recall reading about it.

That was several years ago @the_same_mountainbike. But the notoriety continues. Check Amazon for the book KING OF TORTS and prepare to learn how the poorest and dumbest state in the country occasionally comes out on top.

Here’s a glimpse

Hi, could we please steer this back toward car topics? Thanks.

1 Like

If I’d been on that jury, it would have been a different story.

Probably would have been a hung jury, because there’s no way I would have found in favor of that irresponsible lady

Just who are these members of the community who find in favor of robbers and people who try to beat the train?

Then again, it’s possible the plaintiff’s lawyers are specifically choosing people who would be likely to make certain outrageous decisions

By the way, near my work there are several train crossings. And there are plenty of people, who are just as dumb as that lady. In fact, there are some who are even worse. Me, I don’t even begin to cross the tracks until the other side is clear. But there are plenty of others who stop ON the tracks, waiting for the guy in front of them . . .

I haven’t seen anything disastrous happen yet, but it might just be a matter of time.

I was taught how to drive by a country boy in an old pickup truck and the instructions for railroad crossings was to always have enough speed when reaching the tracks to coast across if necessary and only begin to cross when the road was clear across the tracks. If a farm truck engine stalled on the tracks it might take a few minutes to get it moving again.

Unless the train gets to it first, in which case it’ll be moving again but not in the desired direction. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes