The Poop on the Prius

First, let me say that I love the show. BUT (you knew that was coming, right?!) I wondered why Click and Clack didn’t suggest that Lisa with the new Prius get one of those canvas (?) car covers to put on her Prius while at work or shopping. That would prevent both bird droppings and the sun from ruining the finish.

Please forgive me if I started something and a discussion had already been initiated on the topic – I couldn’t seem to find anything about this on the site.

Keep up the good work, guys – and don’t drive like my cat!

would you want the hassle of putting on and taking off the cover everywhere you went?

Well, poop happens, and if someone wants to avoid it as much as possible, park away from trees, power lines, and other places birds like to hang out. Second, wash and wax your vehicle a couple times a year so the bird droppings will have the layer of wax to chew on before it gets to the paint. I didn’t catch the show (actually haven’t listened to it for a few years now. Heard it’s mostly rehash of old stuff anyway), so I apologize if I’m echoing their suggestions.

Car covers may be used outside but they should only be used in a garage when the car is parked for a long time. It helps keep dust from turning to crust. Long time outside use will damage the paint even in good conditions. Wind is just one deal killer. Short term use in unlucky conditions will wreck some of the paint in one day.

So there are conditions where having a cloth between the condition and the car is actually worse than having nothing between the condition and the car? Care to elaborate?

“Long time outside use will damage the paint even in good conditions.” Care to elaborate?