The new--much smaller--Jeep

In the photos it looks bigger than the Panda. I’m just judging my the size of the model. I haven’t actually looked any specs up. {:slight_smile:

It’s based on the same platform as the Fiat 500L which is not exactly the same but shares basic parts with the Panda. Jeep can make some changes in dimensions and still use the platform so it could be slightly bigger.

I hope one does not think the Panda or any vehicle based on it is a legit off road vehicle. One only has to crawl underneath and look. Regardless of how it does in a one time test, the mark of a good one is being able to repeat it over and over again. The undercarriage of Wranglers, xterras , 4Runners and even the old Suzuki Side kick which was surprisingly formidable, are much better built then these light weights. It’s laughable to even think a legit off roader is based on a 500l. What’s next… A Yaris with a lift kit winning the Baja ?

@dagosa I agree that a Wrangler/Xterra/4runner is a better off road vehicle than anything built off the Fiat Platform but I don’t believe that this new model is really going to be marketed as a hardcore off-road vehicle but as a college/beach ride. Just look at how seriously we take the Compass and Patriot. It’s a niche market vehicle.

Exactly.
Seems like Califirnia and Australia should be good markets. At least, as happened around here, when a couple of acquaintances buy them for thier wives as winter vehicles, they won’t put them in peril like they did with the front heavy, rwd Liberty with part time 4 wd. It appears to be replacing the Patriot. Looks more rugged with Jeep teeth. Another merchandizing ploy.

The replacement for the Liberty becomes the Cherokee. It is typical to replace a poor vehicle with a new one then change the name instead of making consistently decent cars as more successful automakers do.

I clearly remember the Fiat Panda

Entry level Italian trash which rusted away while you were watching
"Fond" memories indeed . . .

But db, the Panda was Car of the Year in Europe. What’s that say?

'I clearly remember the Fiat Panda…Entry level Italian trash which rusted away while you were watching…“Fond” memories indeed . . ."

The one that you remember was likely the first generation Panda, or the second gen Panda–which was essentially a face-lifted version of the earlier one. The new-design Panda produced since 2003 bears little resemblance in any way to the earlier versions. Since US car makers have evolved from the horrendous quality of their models of a couple of decades ago, it is also very possible that Fiat has improved.

To quote Wikipedia regarding the new-design Panda:

“Top Gear Motoring Survey in 2006 ranked the Panda 8th out of 152 cars surveyed for reliability, craftsmanship, ownership costs, driving experience and service received. (One of the show’s hosts, James May, went on to purchase one). Traditionally, Fiat have ranked at the lower end of this table, showing that the Nuova Panda is reversing the trend and suggesting a rise in quality standards for Fiat.”

“Car of the year” means NOTHING in my book

I clearly remember several cars of the year, which turned out to be merely “average” in hindsight

Or “cars of the year” whose value quickly plummeted because they were quickly recognized as horrendously unreliable

Or cases in which the title “car of the year” was purchased . . . Motor Trend was guilty of accepting those “bribes”

@circuitsmith said it best;
Thinking back on the history of Fiat ( Strata aka; Yugo ) and Chrysler, quality wise… Makes his head spin .

Its a strange thing they made those V6 engines for whatever reason(its a wonder they didnt cram the V8 version in the Liberty(talk about poor handling) on my Dakota it looks like they sliced 2 cylinders off and crammed it up against the radiator(guess Daimler Chrysler never worried about weight distribution) on the newer Chevy V-6 trucks the engine sets back a long ways from the front of the truck and handling should be enhanced from a weight distribution standpoint anyway,my guess is Daimler slid everthing forward so they wouldnt have to put an electric fan in the Dakota(which would have helped the gas mileage and performance a bit).Fool me once,the Fords are looking better all the time,the lower curb weight and high specific output of the new Fords should make an economical,better performing vehicle.Seriously Chryco is going to have to find a happy medium one of these days to increase sales(IMO) not everybody wants or can afford a Cummins Diesel(fine engine by the way)-Kevin

I kind of like the looks of this one, unlike most other recent Jeeps. The 500L might not be great to drive (or look at), but it is surprisingly roomy and comfortable for its size. If this new Renegade has similar room, it could be quite appealing for people who want a small car with some awd credentials (not off-road, just better on sloppy roads.) The Juke is incredibly cramped and the Soul, while wonderfully roomy, is just a tall car, not an SUV/crossover of any sort and doesn’t really try to be one. To me, the closest competitor is the Subaru SV CrossTrek, which has decent ground clearance for a road car and is also fairly roomy, at least for four.

Fix
It
Again
Tony

Hey, hey, hey, db, I put 127K on my Fiat…and…and…uh…you’re right.

Is it a way to spread the Jeep name to other parts of the world while just plastering the iconic Jeep name on an import here ?

From the photo the Fiat “Jeep” looks about the same size as the original Jeep Cherokee. I wish I still had mine.

I’m sorry the original Jeep Cherokee was a full sized SUV. I’m talking about the late 1980s compact.

As far as I’m concerned the entire Fiat operation can be bulldozed into a pile and set afire.

The Car of The Year is not that great an honor. Past honorees include the Vega, Citation, Omni, and I seem to remember the Renault Alliance being in the mix.

"Past honorees include the Vega, Citation, Omni, and . . . Renault Alliance . . . "

Let’s make the Chevette, Renault LeCar, Yugo, and 1986 Hyundai Excel an honorary “car of the year” while we’re at it

LOL

It was the European Car of the Year anyway. Evidently decided by so many journalists around Europe. Maybe they liked the color or something.